Interest emails?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epiphany212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is it appropriate to send emails of interest to PDs/PCs of programs where I would really like to interview? Also, is it okay to include "geographic proximity to {family/S.O.}" as one - but of course not the only - reason for our interest if and when we do send an email?

I don't want to be an annoying or overeager applicant but, after seeing the growing list of interview invite dates, I also want to express my interest while there are still interview slots available.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

When is it appropriate to send emails of interest to PDs/PCs of programs where I would really like to interview? Also, is it okay to include "geographic proximity to {family/S.O.}" as one - but of course not the only - reason for our interest if and when we do send an email?

I don't want to be an annoying or overeager applicant but, after seeing the growing list of interview invite dates, I also want to express my interest while there are still interview slots available.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer!

Mentioning that you want to be near family is not important to programs. They want to interview applicants who are interested in their program.

Thank you for your response, @residencycoord. It is much appreciated.

I sent a few emails of interest to specific highly desirable programs. Do you have any advice as to how to follow-up in cases where there has been no response? Should I 1) sit tight and wait, 2) send a second email to the PC, either 1 week after my initial email or 1 week before their first interview date, or 3) call the program coordinator?

I get the sense that program coordinators are very, very busy at this time of the year. I don't want to be annoying, but I also want to show initiative to express my strong interest in the programs from whom I haven't heard back. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Thank you for your response, @residencycoord. It is much appreciated.

I sent a few emails of interest to specific highly desirable programs. Do you have any advice as to how to follow-up in cases where there has been no response? Should I 1) sit tight and wait, 2) send a second email to the PC, either 1 week after my initial email or 1 week before their first interview date, or 3) call the program coordinator?

I get the sense that program coordinators are very, very busy at this time of the year. I don't want to be annoying, but I also want to show initiative to express my strong interest in the programs from whom I haven't heard back. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

I would not send a second email. I would sit and wait. Most programs send out notices notifying applicants that they have not been invited (at least that is what I think they should do). I have received several emails but I have to tell you I am not impressed with some. You can tell that they have been cut and pasted, so I know that these emails have gone out to several programs. I actually had one that went it to so much detail only to find out that she didn't even apply to our program. Some programs may be booked and are waiting for cancellations so they can invite others. Some coordinators do not like receiving numerous phone calls and emails from one applicant.