Interest in IR - 238 Step Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

workaholic007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
No IR research but had exposure during rotation. Always wanted ENT but then moved into DR and now leaning IR.

Issue is my step score. I will hopefully have 2 ENT and 1 other publication by apps and hopefully 250 Step 2. Is it worth doing aways for IR if I am interested in it? Would you recommend doing DR then ESIR hoping to get into a better DR program?

How major of a barrier is a 238 step score without any major IR research but other forms of research even if i do aways. I go to a weak medical school but I am on the top 25% of the class.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think your major issue is no real demonstrated interest in IR. Your 3 publications in ENT indicate recent interest in IR.

Did you do an IR rotation and have IR LORs?

238 isn't that much of a barrier

Reactions: 1 user
outside of research how can I show interest in IR? is it more beneifical to go DR -> ESIR or is this very competitive itself

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you. reason is im not 100% sure I want IR, but 70-80%. is ESIR competitive or if i go to good DR program will i have the opportunity?

thank you. reason is im not 100% sure I want IR, but 70-80%. is ESIR competitive or if i go to good DR program will i have the opportunity?
someone correct me if i am wrong, but ESIR is as competitive as you classmate's desire to do IR because you are competing with them for the slots.

someone correct me if i am wrong, but ESIR is as competitive as you classmate's desire to do IR because you are competing with them for the slots.

if multiple people in your resident class want the spots it can be competitive, but ive been told by people that some programs are able to open up an extra spot if 1 extra person wants in.

Reactions: 1 user
Caribbean grad here. Step 1 230s, step 2 250s. No research. Did one combined IR/DR rotation with a strong letter. Matched into my first choice DR program with plans on pursuing ESIR. The competitiveness of ESIR depends on how many of your classmates you're competing with, but you don't have to do ESIR to do an IR independent residency (formerly called fellowship). The difference is that ESIR candidates usually get slightly more/better interviews and the training is only 1 year in length compared to non-ESIR where its 2 years. I am currently doing ESIR and received plenty of interviews at top programs. I published some research and worked really hard during residency to boost my app. But in IR, letters and phone calls goal long way so keep that in mind. I think the DR/ESIR path is very viable for you if you wish to pursue it. I would just try to do one DR and one IR rotation and get strong letter. But I wouldn't recommend pursuing DR/ESIR if you wouldn't be ok bring a diagnostic radiologist, because in the end nothing is guaranteed and you might have a change of heart. Best of luck, you can do anything you set your mind to.

DO who matched with a 239. All it takes is persistence, showing interest, and being ahead of the game will get you matched. Everything else is just to pass the "eye" test that you are a good enough applicant.

DO who matched with a 239. All it takes is persistence, showing interest, and being ahead of the game will get you matched. Everything else is just to pass the "eye" test that you are a good enough applicant.

Any tips for matching as a DO? As far as selecting DO friendly programs do you have a list of any? Thanks!