Interest in OB-GYN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will preface this by saying I am a male. I recently shadowed an OBGYN and was surprised how much I like the field. It is the perfect mix of medicine/procedures. I even got a taste of MFM and Gyn Onc. The field is just fascinating. Everyone is telling me not to go into the field because of my gender. Do you think they are right or do you think it could be an advantage? I do not know if it helps image wise, but I am married and will definitely have kids before residency starts. I have heard stories that men have a tough time getting started in the field.

A few more questions. As a DO student, what USMLE score would I need for at least a mid-tier university program for a decent shot at a fellowship if I so choose? I have a few research interests as well (high risk pregnancy research). One of those interests is close to home because my sister had some complications given a pre-existing condition.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am also a male who found myself in a similar position last year. After going through interview season and now putting together a ROL I can say that I dont regret for a second my decision to go into OB/GYN, and I have full confidence that I never will. I had zero expectation of even liking OB/GYN when I started my 3rd year rotation and I quickly realized how perfect the specialty was for me, but I wont bore you with all of my personal reasons of why I love it. I still had half of 3rd year to go and everytime I mentioned I might do OB/GYN, my female co-med students thought it was great, most male co-med students thought I was crazy, and just about every resident/attending (outside of OB/GYN) would respond, "why would you want to do that?"

At first I felt very self conscious about expressing my interest in the field due to the backlash from people in just about every other specialty, and I honestly tried really hard to like something else (mainly anesthesia), but just knew that I couldnt like anything more than OB/GYN. When I did my 4th year rotations and went on interviews and spent the majority of my time with "my people", it was an amazing experience and I felt very strongly recruited to the field by the people that actually know the field. There is a lot of talk about "female only practices" and "women only want to have a female OB/GYN" but honestly there are way more women who just want to have the best doctor they can to provide the safest outcome for themselves and their baby. I am confident that as long as I work hard and become a great OB/GYN that will be a whole lot more important than my gender.

Also, the gender issue becomes exceedingly less important if you do any fellowship, so if you really love OB/GYN and are seriously concerned about gender being an issue then you always have those options.

I am also a male who found myself in a similar position last year. After going through interview season and now putting together a ROL I can say that I dont regret for a second my decision to go into OB/GYN, and I have full confidence that I never will. I had zero expectation of even liking OB/GYN when I started my 3rd year rotation and I quickly realized how perfect the specialty was for me, but I wont bore you with all of my personal reasons of why I love it. I still had half of 3rd year to go and everytime I mentioned I might do OB/GYN, my female co-med students thought it was great, most male co-med students thought I was crazy, and just about every resident/attending (outside of OB/GYN) would respond, "why would you want to do that?"

At first I felt very self conscious about expressing my interest in the field due to the backlash from people in just about every other specialty, and I honestly tried really hard to like something else (mainly anesthesia), but just knew that I couldnt like anything more than OB/GYN. When I did my 4th year rotations and went on interviews and spent the majority of my time with "my people", it was an amazing experience and I felt very strongly recruited to the field by the people that actually know the field. There is a lot of talk about "female only practices" and "women only want to have a female OB/GYN" but honestly there are way more women who just want to have the best doctor they can to provide the safest outcome for themselves and their baby. I am confident that as long as I work hard and become a great OB/GYN that will be a whole lot more important than my gender.

Also, the gender issue becomes exceedingly less important if you do any fellowship, so if you really love OB/GYN and are seriously concerned about gender being an issue then you always have those options.

It is telling that 2/3 of program directors discourage males from applying to OB/GYN. I recently read this statistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure where you read that statistic but I have not been discouraged from going into the field by any attending/resident in the field. I imagine there are some out there, and likely more in Ob/gyn than other specialties, but that statistic is not in line with my experience. On my 12 interviews at academic institutions there were at least 20% males (one was half males) and many interviewers blatantly discussed their desire for more males in their program. Males certainly don't have a harder time getting into residency, however, I would also never take it for granted or expect I had any better shot than an academically comparable female applicant.

I am not sure where you read that statistic but I have not been discouraged from going into the field by any attending/resident in the field. I imagine there are some out there, and likely more in Ob/gyn than other specialties, but that statistic is not in line with my experience. On my 12 interviews at academic institutions there were at least 20% males (one was half males) and many interviewers blatantly discussed their desire for more males in their program. Males certainly don't have a harder time getting into residency, however, I would also never take it for granted or expect I had any better shot than an academically comparable female applicant.

Thanks for your insight! Any recommendations for an incoming MS1 if they like the specialty? I have a few research projects in mind on high risk pregnancy. Maternal/Fetal med is definitely an interest.

Sorry for dropping in the middle of this since I'm in Psychiatry and not Ob Gyn. I was once interested in Ob Gyn and love to study it. There is no advantage for a man to be in Ob Gyn other than the fact that there's a shortage of men in the field. Women have the clear advantage. Only a woman can fully understand and appreciate how a woman's body works. It's presumptuous and pretentious for a man to think they can be as good as a woman on Ob Gyn. I'm a feminist on this point. An besides, most women prefer a woman as their Gyn doctor. I say don't do it.

At the risk of feeding the trolls...

Sorry for dropping in the middle of this since I'm in Psychiatry and not Ob Gyn.

tumblr_mqhmm3F7FA1s8scfko1_500.gif

Only a woman can fully understand and appreciate how a woman's body works. It's presumptuous and pretentious for a man to think they can be as good as a woman on Ob Gyn.

This statement is ridiculous. By that logic, only psychiatrists who have been bipolar or schizophrenic can fully "understand and appreciate how psychiatric disease works". Would you not visit an oncologist who has never had cancer??

I'm a feminist on this point.

Nope. Feminism is about equality between men and women. Feminism is not making sweeping generalizations that men are less competent than women.

Reactions: 4 users
You're wrong. It's not at all ridiculous. A person who has had bipolar disease and became a physician does have a clear advantage because that person understands exactly what it's like to have the disorder. Several prominent psychiatrists I know who have struggled with disorders have more nuance in treating their patients and do a better job I think.

More experience that you SHARE with the patient makes you a better physician because there are many intangibles that can't be taught which leads to improved understanding of patients => better treatment of patients. With deeper understanding comes improved care. That's true for every situation. I can try to dig up reference articles that point to this but don't have the time at the moment.

I never said don't see a male gynecologist - you're changing arguments there. But I AM saying a female gynecologist is better suited at treating gynecological issues because she understands a woman's body better than a man and that does play into the nuance of ObGyn.

Feminism is as you describe. Let me correct myself. I'm a female chauvinist on this point. Men are at a disadvantage. Simple. Accept it.

I say go ahead and do what your heart desires, it is the only way that you will truly love what you do and patients can see and love the doctors who are passionate about their field

Sorry for dropping in the middle of this since I'm in Psychiatry and not Ob Gyn. I was once interested in Ob Gyn and love to study it. There is no advantage for a man to be in Ob Gyn other than the fact that there's a shortage of men in the field. Women have the clear advantage. Only a woman can fully understand and appreciate how a woman's body works. It's presumptuous and pretentious for a man to think they can be as good as a woman on Ob Gyn. I'm a feminist on this point. An besides, most women prefer a woman as their Gyn doctor. I say don't do it.
Leo Aquarius - If you have opinions then do so in the Psychiatry forum and not in the OBGYN forum. I am tired of haters and outsiders coming onto this site trying to dissuade males from going into OBGYN. It doesn't work, males keep applying and they keep matching and go on to successful careers.

Reactions: 1 user
You're wrong. It's not at all ridiculous. A person who has had bipolar disease and became a physician does have a clear advantage because that person understands exactly what it's like to have the disorder. Several prominent psychiatrists I know who have struggled with disorders have more nuance in treating their patients and do a better job I think.

More experience that you SHARE with the patient makes you a better physician because there are many intangibles that can't be taught which leads to improved understanding of patients => better treatment of patients. With deeper understanding comes improved care. That's true for every situation. I can try to dig up reference articles that point to this but don't have the time at the moment.

I never said don't see a male gynecologist - you're changing arguments there. But I AM saying a female gynecologist is better suited at treating gynecological issues because she understands a woman's body better than a man and that does play into the nuance of ObGyn.

Feminism is as you describe. Let me correct myself. I'm a female chauvinist on this point. Men are at a disadvantage. Simple. Accept it.

Lol. What kind of ******ed logic is this.

Trust me when I say that being a woman does not make one a better gynecologist/obstetrician. Tell me how being a woman makes one more apt to know the vascular supply of the pelvis or even how to manage/treat abnormal vaginal discharge. Surprise, it doesn't!

You know what does help? Opening a f$cking book and taking care of patients.

Being a woman will help in certain instances when a female patient prefers a female provider.

But being a woman does not give a physician some innate sense of managing and treating gynecologic/obstetric pathology.

I don't think feminist means what you think it means.

How difficult is it for a DO student to match into a top tier OB/GYN residency? I know it depends on Steps and potential LORs. I would like to do some research as well. Does being a guy help given the shortage of guys in the field?

So I will preface this by saying I am a male. I recently shadowed an OBGYN and was surprised how much I like the field. It is the perfect mix of medicine/procedures. I even got a taste of MFM and Gyn Onc. The field is just fascinating. Everyone is telling me not to go into the field because of my gender. Do you think they are right or do you think it could be an advantage? I do not know if it helps image wise, but I am married and will definitely have kids before residency starts. I have heard stories that men have a tough time getting started in the field.

A few more questions. As a DO student, what USMLE score would I need for at least a mid-tier university program for a decent shot at a fellowship if I so choose? I have a few research interests as well (high risk pregnancy research). One of those interests is close to home because my sister had some complications given a pre-existing condition.

You apparently have not done an OB-Gyn rotation with female OB-Gyn residents.

I am tired of haters and outsiders coming onto this site trying to dissuade males from going into OBGYN. It doesn't work, males keep applying and they keep matching and go on to successful careers.

To be fair, the rotation of OB-Gyn, due to mistreatment by female OB-Gyn residents, tends to do that enough on its own. OB-Gyn has changed largely from a male dominated field to a female dominated field for a reason.

To be fair, the rotation of OB-Gyn, due to mistreatment by female OB-Gyn residents, tends to do that enough on its own. OB-Gyn has changed largely from a male dominated field to a female dominated field for a reason.

I don't know what program/programs you are talking about as far as female residents mistreating male residents. That is an individual program problem. I have had several males in our program and not one of them has ever been mistreated in any way. I know many other coordinators in this field who don't mind spilling the dirt about their programs and that has never been mentioned.

I don't know what program/programs you are talking about as far as female residents mistreating male residents. That is an individual program problem. I have had several males in our program and not one of them has ever been mistreated in any way. I know many other coordinators in this field who don't mind spilling the dirt about their programs and that has never been mentioned.
I was referring to medical students.

I don't have any input besides saying that myself, my sisters, my mom, and my aunts have all gone to a male OB/GYN. Sure, some people might care, but I can say it's never even really crossed my mind before and I could care less either way. I want a good doctor. I don't care what gender they are just like in any other specialty.