Interested in ASDOH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryancord

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm entering my D2 year at ASDOH and I couldn't be happier. To be quite honest, after going on interviews, I had UW #1 (because of location), Midwestern AZ #2 and ASDOH #3. I got accepted late to #1 and #2 and had already put my deposit down on ASDOH.

Thank God I did because this was the best situation for me. This school is worth every penny I'm borrowing from uncle sam to pay because I know I'll be so far along clinically right out of the gate.

If any of you would like insight into what ASDOH is like, I'd be happy to share it. I promise no sugarcoating either.

Best of luck to all of you applying this year. Whether it's your first cycle applying or 4th, stay focused and positive and it will happen for you!

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

How many hours of service or volunteering did you have?

+1. More broadly what sort of commitment is competitive for ADSOH. I agree with their theme and think it most likely a good school - but in the end admissions are competitive. So I would love to know what sort of averages of community service they're looking for?

Thanks

How many hours of service or volunteering did you have?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have thousands of hours. What I did was a diverse set of activities to show my commitment to serving underserved communities and those in need.

I volunteered at a pedo dental clinic, a free dental clinic, a food bank, I tutored at a home for recovering drug abusers, I went on a dental mission trip to Honduras. I did some other dental related events as well.

But instead of a ton of hours at one place, I did 50-100 at all these places.

For me it wasn't the quantity of hours but the quality and how that showed my commitment to service.

Hope that helps.

What was your stats that got you in if you don't mind me asking?

Do you think it looks better to have more diverse volunteer career experience like you did?

I ask because I have over 1,000 hours volunteering with an organization (including being on a couple of their volunteer committees) that was a huge part of my life before volunteering and is actually a big part of my personal statement.

Do you think it looks better to have more diverse volunteer career experience like you did?

I ask because I have over 1,000 hours volunteering with an organization (including being on a couple of their volunteer committees) that was a huge part of my life before volunteering and is actually a big part of my personal statement.

Dedication and longevity is good. 20 hours here and there isn't bad, but long-term is better. Perhaps you have other volunteering and ECs so you'll have both long-term and diverse.

Whatever your volunteer/ec's are should reflect a commitment to serving those in need. I am a non-traditional student who had a career before deciding to go back to school. So I didn't have a few years to accumulate a bunch of hours. So that's why I did what I did.

My stats were ok...3.3 GPA/3.5 sGPA/ 22 AA DAT.

Honestly, I can say that ASDOH looks at your character as much if not more than the GPA.

Whatever your volunteer/ec's are should reflect a commitment to serving those in need. I am a non-traditional student who had a career before deciding to go back to school. So I didn't have a few years to accumulate a bunch of hours. So that's why I did what I did.

My stats were ok...3.3 GPA/3.5 sGPA/ 22 AA DAT.

Honestly, I can say that ASDOH looks at your character as much if not more than the GPA.

No offense but you need that high of a stat to get into ASDOH?

Thanks for calling my stats "high". There are students with lower stats than mine but they made up for it in other areas. But posted stats for every school are averages so even if you are a little lower than the average, you may still get in if you make up for it in other areas.

Thankfully at ASDOH, it's pretty straightforward what you need to do if you have low stats to get an interview. At other schools, it's ambiguous or you need to know somebody.

Thanks for calling my stats "high". There are students with lower stats than mine but they made up for it in other areas. But posted stats for every school are averages so even if you are a little lower than the average, you may still get in if you make up for it in other areas.

Thankfully at ASDOH, it's pretty straightforward what you need to do if you have low stats to get an interview. At other schools, it's ambiguous or you need to know somebody.

Your DAT scores are bangin' and I would NOT call your GPA low. ASDOH is one of my target schools but I am scared that I won't be able to score 20+ AA on the DAT. I have a nice GPA though:laugh:

I got accepted to ASDOH with under 200 hours of volunteering. My public health experience was actually paid, although I expressed interest in it. I think it is all about character and what you want to do with your career.

I got accepted to ASDOH with under 200 hours of volunteering. My public health experience was actually paid, although I expressed interest in it. I think it is all about character and what you want to do with your career.

what was your stats dante ?

Equal if not more so than DAT and GPA. It's icing on the cake at other schools. At ASDOH it's part of the cake.

i have a 100+ hours of shadowing and various miscellaneous volunteer work...not sure of an hour amount but probably 100 hrs max if added all together, but it was never like i went to one place and did many horus of volunteer work...is this considered very little volunteer work, esp for ASDOH?

i have a 100+ hours of shadowing and various miscellaneous volunteer work...not sure of an hour amount but probably 100 hrs max if added all together, but it was never like i went to one place and did many horus of volunteer work...is this considered very little volunteer work, esp for ASDOH?

Maybe for ASDOH. But no one can really say yes or no for sure. They don't have a cut-off or anything (even though you'll see suggestions of what you should have around here). But if you call admissions and ask, they'll tell you that their average volunteer hours of enrolled classes is much higher than that (several times higher). As was said earlier, they really do look at the whole applicant. But when their focus is on public health/community involvement, proof of one's commitment to that is usually displayed with a lot of volunteer hours. So monster hours will probably get more attention. And when they're getting over 40 applications per seat available (more than any other school), you need to stand out.