Interested in Derm, where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urbanclassic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a new MS3, just got back my Step 1 score: 250. (It's not what I wanted, but I think I can work with it)
I have no research experience at all.
I did well in pre-clinical years; Mostly honors and 3 high passes.
I feel like I'm behind the game as far as a competitive specialty like Derm. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm a new MS3, just got back my Step 1 score: 250. (It's not what I wanted, but I think I can work with it)
I have no research experience at all.
I did well in pre-clinical years; Mostly honors and 3 high passes.
I feel like I'm behind the game as far as a competitive specialty like Derm. Any advice?

So far so good, your step 1 score will get you past most if not all filters. I'd check in with your home department to see if they have any research opportunities. If you don't have a home department, I'd check in with local programs to see if there are any research opportunities (case reports don't require you to be on site). Honoring all of or most of your clinical rotations will be helpful too. Then apply broadly as a 4th year and best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, how times change. I got around that step I score back in my day and almost exploded with joy.
I think it's more the nerves vs. inadvertent trolling vs. active trolling. Most med students know about Outcomes of the Match.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If there is a filter that 250 doesn't get you through, then you're lucky to not to have to consider that program. 250 filters are ******ed if they exist.

Reactions: 2 users
If there is a filter that 250 doesn't get you through, then you're lucky to not to have to consider that program. 250 filters are ******ed if they exist.
The only program that I've heard in the past of possibly doing this is UCSF (not surprised as it's a top tier derm program in San Francisco), but I have never heard about this at other programs as 250 being a cutoff. Esp. since the average USMLE Step 1 score to match for MS-4s per Charting Outcomes for the Match is 240s.

That being said for @urbanclassic, he's nowhere out of the running. All he has to do is get involved in some research and he should be fine. If he continues his preclinical performance thru clinicals, then he'll probably make AOA, which will net him more interviews (than if he wasn't AOA). Just bc you gun for derm and start doing research in MS-1 doesn't mean by the time you get to MS-4 you're still in the running when you know more of what your application looks like: class rank, board scores, MS-3 clerkship grades, AOA/no AOA, etc. There is a huge self-selection process and playing of odds in the match.

The first thing I'd make sure of is that you were interested in derm before you got your Step 1 score back :)

I'm surprised about UCSF. Their website states: "We do not have a minimum cutoff for USMLE Step I exam scores, and give somewhat limited weight to these scores, though applicants with Step I scores below 220 need to show evidence of stellar clinical performance on difficult clinical rotations to be competitive"

The first thing I'd make sure of is that you were interested in derm before you got your Step 1 score back :)

I'm surprised about UCSF. Their website states: "We do not have a minimum cutoff for USMLE Step I exam scores, and give somewhat limited weight to these scores, though applicants with Step I scores below 220 need to show evidence of stellar clinical performance on difficult clinical rotations to be competitive"
While I agree with you on your first statement, unfortunately the real world doesn't work that way. The truth of the matter is with the way the competition for Derm residency has become - a high Step 1 score has pretty much become a defacto requirement when applying as an MS-4 (who hasn't done a research year). You can even be the founder of a fantastic national Derm networking website (ex. DIGA: http://www.derminterest.org/) and still not get in. Things like research and Derm-related ECs are ancillary to boost your application after you've done the other stuff.

UCSF is in a very competitive location, and is a top tier program. Sure, they'll read your application when you get above the 220, but I was referring to actually getting an interview. It may not be 250, but it's definitely high. Look at the places of the people who match there as well.

Last edited:
University of Colorado used to have a statement on their Derm residency website that they only considered applicants who were AOA. They've removed it now, but I'm always surprised by how much can be demanded of applicants.

While I agree with you on your first statement, unfortunately the real world doesn't work that way. The truth of the matter is with the way the competition for Derm residency has become - a high Step 1 score has pretty much become a defacto requirement when applying as an MS-4 (who hasn't done a research year). You can even be the founder of a fantastic national Derm networking website (ex. DIGA: http://www.derminterest.org/) and still not get in. Things like research and Derm-related ECs are ancillary to boost your application after you've done the other stuff.

UCSF is in a very competitive location, and is a top tier program. Sure, they'll read your application when you get above the 220, but I was referring to actually getting an interview. It may not be 250, but it's definitely high. Look at the places of the people who match there as well.

I meant more in the sense that, there are a lot of students who *suddenly* get interested in derm once they get their high Step 1 score back. There's a tendency at my own school (and probably others) to start shopping competitive specialties once you get a good score. I think it's important to make sure you are actually, genuinely interested in dermatology (or any other competitive specialty) before you start going down the road of trying to match into it. And, it's not just excitement over your 260 and matching into a competitive, "lifestyle" specialty.

I meant more in the sense that, there are a lot of students who *suddenly* get interested in derm once they get their high Step 1 score back. There's a tendency at my own school (and probably others) to start shopping competitive specialties once you get a good score. I think it's important to make sure you are actually, genuinely interested in dermatology (or any other competitive specialty) before you start going down the road of trying to match into it. And, it's not just excitement over your 260 and matching into a competitive, "lifestyle" specialty.
Wait, you're shocked that high USMLE Step 1 scorers start searching for specialties,not just Derm, that are competitive? What makes Derm any different from Ophtho or Rad Onc?

Reactions: 1 users