Interested in DO for eSports!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geo16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first interest in medicine was because I wanted to be a military physician.
But now, I have a new mission statement: I want to become a physician for eSports.
eSports is getting bigger and bigger by each year and the size of this frontier is growing.

DO seems like a perfect profession for eSports.
OMM, I believe, can relieve muscle pain and anxiety experienced by eSports players. They have to sit all day to practice and they are always anxious for their next match just like any other Sports player.
Do you think I am bombing my future application if I clearly say that I want to become a DO specifically because I want to be an eSports Physician?
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I think you're a bit ahead of your time perhaps. I don't think Esports players really suffer from muscle pain that much, carpal tunnel is pretty preventable and treatable through basic stretches and stuff. Most of the stress seems to be psychological due to just how many tournaments there are and the immense pressure top pros are under. There's a lot of talk of burnout in the professional scene, particularly Overwatch. A lot of teams have support staff such as personal trainers and sports psychologists now. OG and Astralis, the two most dominant teams in their respective games, arguably any competitive team anything ever: both employ the same team psychologist. Is there a market for such a physician? Who could say? In 5 years we'll see. It's sort of uncharted waters.

I'd be hesitant to mention anything related to esports on your application to anything unless you are applying for an esports position, much less saying you focusing on becoming a type of physician that may never actually exist on your med school application. I'd say its a red flag saying you're super focused on becoming a sports physician for a big football team: it's like computer science majors saying they want to make video games. Esports is fight club: don't talk about fight club. Most adcoms are old, don't understand it, and would see it as a big red flag.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
But now, I have a new mission statement: I want to become a physician for eSports.
eSports is getting bigger and bigger by each year and the size of this frontier is growing.

OMM, I believe, can relieve muscle pain and anxiety experienced by eSports players. They have to sit all day to practice and they are always anxious for their next match just like any other Sports player.
Do you think I am bombing my future application if I clearly say that I want to become a DO specifically because I want to be an eSports Physician?
Any thoughts?

I support your new dream and endeavor. Perhaps PM&R specialty would be fitting for this role too! We see a lot of overuse injuries which obviously is present in Esports.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Any thoughts?
You're joking right?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
the league of legends player base could use more psychiatrists on hand

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
So this is a glimpse of Gen Z physicians' era heh?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Can this get moved to the sports med forum just to see how all the sports docs react?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Can this get moved to the sports med forum just to see how all the sports docs react?
1tKiwkhg0vyQPoTl0P3vn3nz21kvX6ZokjtTik5NYk0.jpg
You... You can't do this to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
This is an interesting take and may be a true niche for physicians in the future. I’ve never really thought about this myself.

Not that my comment really adds anything, I just wanted to say that :)

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the first comment. But I’d like to add more. I’d say it’s a red flag because it’s focused on a “fantasy” (maybe not the best term). Adcoms want to see that you know what you’re getting yourself into through shadowing and working in healthcare. Sure, you could note that you would like to explore the idea in a related specialty, but being on a “mission” to become an eSports physician sounds a little naive. If you do mention the idea, make sure you indicate that you are open to the idea of practicing in other specialities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above poster. Even if you are passionate about this, your reviewers are not going to take it seriously enough, it would probably be a red flag for that reason to some. If I reviewed your app I'd be skeptical that you were really passionate about the career of becoming a physician because that's such an odd angle to take.

Any thoughts?
Not the troll we deserve but the one we need!

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
h
Not the troll we deserve but the one we need!
hey at least its a creative one rather than the same old nonsense that people somehow still think is funny

I am not quite sure why everyone is belittling his aspirations. Esports is a real thing and is the future. Even NBA teams have their own esports division like the Toronto Raptors. On the world stage, large esport tournament events have had more worldwide audience members than traditional professional sporting events. It is becoming a very legitimate competitive 'sport' with lots of sponsorsorships.

Maybe your in game avatar could be a white mage support type that casts healing osteopathic spells on players with depleted HP gauges.

You’d literally be a bone wizard.

Maybe your in game avatar could be a white mage support type that casts healing osteopathic spells on players with depleted HP gauges.

You’d literally be a bone wizard.
Bone wizard is no healing wizard, eSports classifies that as necromancy.

I am not quite sure why everyone is belittling his aspirations. Esports is a real thing and is the future. Even NBA teams have their own esports division like the Toronto Raptors. On the world stage, large esport tournament events have had more worldwide audience members than traditional professional sporting events. It is becoming a very legitimate competitive 'sport' with lots of sponsorsorships.

No doubt esports is a very legit form of entertainment now. But the idea of having your medical practice facilitate exclusively or predominantly to this population is sort of silly. If you are interested in sports medicine and want to do this it doesn't make sense. Being a team physician for football or basketball makes sense because those athletes get certain injuries more than the general public. The esports guys are going to be experiencing similar medical problems to your average office worker; LBP and CTS. If you are looking at this from a primary care POV, again this is no different than treating the general population. The skill level that they have is not going to make them that much of a special patient population medically speaking.

Video games are fun. Be whatever you want to be.
CB7BE812-FE5D-4D85-92E3-98E5E3A4CB51.png

So how much Adderall do you plan on giving out? ;)

Gotta keep that APM high, broski.

• Haha
Not to totally revive this thread but I thought the OP may be interested. I'll also eat my words on this one.

• Haha