Interested in doing residency in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. O

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a US IMG and my wife is a Mexican registered physician. We are both strongly considering doing the Canadian licensing exams in order to be able to participate in the Canadian match. Like almost every profession, we know it is an arduous process. From what I have read from other posts every province has a different set of rules. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there is anyone that went through the same process we welcome any information that might help us live out our dream. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

:( Unfortunately, we are not. I am trying to find out as much as I can through here. We have friends who have received permanent residency status after finishing their studies (not in healthcare). I am unsure how it would work while looking for residency. I'm mainly using this as a reference pertaining to my actual residency interests but as you will see there is no residency or work permit being mentioned.https://www.carms.ca/match/r-1-main-residency-match/eligibility-criteria/summary-intake-criteria-international-medical-graduates-imgs-province/ and also AIMGA – Alberta International Medical Graduates Association

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
:( Unfortunately, we are not. I am trying to find out as much as I can through here. We have friends who have received permanent residency status after finishing their studies (not in healthcare). I am unsure how it would work while looking for residency. I'm mainly using this as a reference pertaining to my actual residency interests but as you will see there is no residency or work permit being mentioned.https://www.carms.ca/match/r-1-main-residency-match/eligibility-criteria/summary-intake-criteria-international-medical-graduates-imgs-province/ and also AIMGA – Alberta International Medical Graduates Association
You need to both have Canadian PR in order to match to residency in Canada. Even people who did medical school in Canada without PR or citizenship cannot apply to residency in Canada.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

I am a US IMG and my wife is a Mexican registered physician. We are both strongly considering doing the Canadian licensing exams in order to be able to participate in the Canadian match. Like almost every profession, we know it is an arduous process. From what I have read from other posts every province has a different set of rules. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there is anyone that went through the same process we welcome any information that might help us live out our dream. Thanks.
Check out this guy who went from Australia to Canada.