interested in IM but my IM rotation is a FM hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc90138

Reaction score
hey everyone,

I'm currently a 3rd year and i'm interested in IM. However, the only problem is that my IM rotation is going to be with a FM hospitalist. Nothing against that but I would assume I need at least one IM physician LOR right? unless the FM hospitalist LOR would suffice.

What are my options besides a LOR from a PD on an away rotation?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You’re going to want an away rotation anyways. DO rotations are crappy because most rotations are preceptor based, unless you lottery into a residency based rotation.

PDs want letters from people that know what they’re talking about, ie: attendings from residency programs. When your 70 year old preceptor writes a letter saying you’re the best student they ever had, it won’t mean much if you’re the only med student they ever had. It will hold much less weight than an attending from a residency program saying you’re performing at the level of an intern. How will programs know that you will be a good resident when you’ve never even interacted with a resident before?

You’re going to want an away rotation anyways. DO rotations are crappy because most rotations are preceptor based, unless you lottery into a residency based rotation.

PDs want letters from people that know what they’re talking about, ie: attendings from residency programs. When your 70 year old preceptor writes a letter saying you’re the best student they ever had, it won’t mean much if you’re the only med student they ever had. It will hold much less weight than an attending from a residency program saying you’re performing at the level of an intern. How will programs know that you will be a good resident when you’ve never even interacted with a resident before?
thank you for the reply! that is true, i didn't think of it like that before. ill just look out for away rotations and hopefully secure an IM LOR in the future then.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone,

I'm currently a 3rd year and i'm interested in IM. However, the only problem is that my IM rotation is going to be with a FM hospitalist. Nothing against that but I would assume I need at least one IM physician LOR right? unless the FM hospitalist LOR would suffice.

What are my options besides a LOR from a PD on an away rotation?

Thanks in advance!
Should be fine with the FM letter. Worst case scenario you get a letter from your department chair

Hey there. I was in the exact same situation as you. I wanted to do IM, my IM rotation was with FM residents while they did their inpatient month. I ended up getting a LOR from the PD of the program who was an FM doc. I submitted that letter as well as another IM letter from one of my Sub-Is, and a letter from another specialty.

I'm currently sitting on 12 interviews 2.5 weeks after ERAS apps have been submitted.

You'll be fine :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there. I was in the exact same situation as you. I wanted to do IM, my IM rotation was with FM residents while they did their inpatient month. I ended up getting a LOR from the PD of the program who was an FM doc. I submitted that letter as well as another IM letter from one of my Sub-Is, and a letter from another specialty.

I'm currently sitting on 12 interviews 2.5 weeks after ERAS apps have been submitted.

You'll be fine :)
oo okay thanks for the reassurance! i will definitely do a sub-i in the future to get an IM letter and good luck on your interviews!