Interested in OMFS with Low Class Rank....Any Advice???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyhud

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I finished dental school and just started an oral surgery heavy GPR program this past July. After a couple of weeks, I realize that I am very interested in an oral surgery residency. However, I made the mistake of slacking off during my last two years of dental school (didn't think I was going to specialize at the time). As a result, my GPA at the end of dental school is a 3.05 with a class rank at the 25th percentile of my class. I know that I am fighting an uphill battle by pursuing OMFS, but I am genuinely interested in the field and will put in whatever work I need to in order to become an oral surgeon. I've started studying for the CBSE (will take in February) and have made a study schedule for that. Additionally, I am looking to do an OMFS internship after my GPR ends. One OMFS resident at my hospital told me that a very strong CBSE score, along with an OMFS internship (or two) is usually enough to match into a residency. I was wondering if that is true even with my abysmal class rank in dental school. My undergrad GPA is decent (3.7) if that matters.

Thanks and I would appreciate any advice/feedback you guys can give me. Be as honest as you want to be. You won't hurt my feelings.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I finished dental school and just started an oral surgery heavy GPR program this past July. After a couple of weeks, I realize that I am very interested in an oral surgery residency. However, I made the mistake of slacking off during my last two years of dental school (didn't think I was going to specialize at the time). As a result, my GPA at the end of dental school is a 3.05 with a class rank at the 25th percentile of my class. I know that I am fighting an uphill battle by pursuing OMFS, but I am genuinely interested in the field and will put in whatever work I need to in order to become an oral surgeon. I've started studying for the CBSE (will take in February) and have made a study schedule for that. Additionally, I am looking to do an OMFS internship after my GPR ends. One OMFS resident at my hospital told me that a very strong CBSE score, along with an OMFS internship (or two) is usually enough to match into a residency. I was wondering if that is true even with my abysmal class rank in dental school. My undergrad GPA is decent (3.7) if that matters.

Thanks and I would appreciate any advice/feedback you guys can give me. Be as honest as you want to be. You won't hurt my feelings.

sounds like you got a plan...you know the odds are stacked against you with your current stats...but a killer cbse and internship can make up for that and you can still match

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback guys!
@setdoc7: is there anything I can do to improve my chances for/at a med school interview? I honestly hadn't planned on applying to 6 year programs as I hear they are more competitive than 4 year programs

Look in recent years the programs that have unmatched spots; the vast majority are 6 year positions. In general, 4 year programs are more competitive than 6. However, as someone mentioned earlier, med schools can sometimes have a cut off. But from what I've heard, it's more often than not based on the CBSE and sometimes undergrad GPA. Most of them just want to know you will pass STEP 1

In terms of getting into an OMFS program, unless you pull off an absurd CBSE score, your likely looking at an internship year. Even if you end up having to do an internship year, really try and get a solid CBSE (70+). Those two factors combined can make all the difference.

Finally, apply smart. 30+ programs and definitely include all of the ones who have a history of showing preference to taking applicants with internship experience (Allegheny, Temple, etc.).

You'll get in eventually if you don't give up. It can be a long road but if it's what you want to do it is definitely worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Look in recent years the programs that have unmatched spots; the vast majority are 6 year positions. In general, 4 year programs are more competitive than 6. However, as someone mentioned earlier, med schools can sometimes have a cut off. But from what I've heard, it's more often than not based on the CBSE and sometimes undergrad GPA. Most of them just want to know you will pass STEP 1

In terms of getting into an OMFS program, unless you pull off an absurd CBSE score, your likely looking at an internship year. Even if you end up having to do an internship year, really try and get a solid CBSE (70+). Those two factors combined can make all the difference.

Finally, apply smart. 30+ programs and definitely include all of the ones who have a history of showing preference to taking applicants with internship experience (Allegheny, Temple, etc.).

You'll get in eventually if you don't give up. It can be a long road but if it's what you want to do it is definitely worth it.

Good advice. But your statement that 4 years are more competitive because the 6 year programs have unmatched spots is not valid. Just because the spots go unfilled it does not mean the applicants weren't competitive, it could mean that there weren't enough 6 year caliber students in the applicant pool to fill all the spots.

I have zero intention of saying 6 years are more competitive, because as we've hashed out on this board, competitive can have a number of meanings (number of applicants, quality of applicants, etc)...but saying that the unmatched spots = less competitive is just not true.

30 applications?

30 applications?
I didn't see anything wrong with this number...even stud candidates can fail to match if they don't rank enough programs. The OP has a poor GPA and won't necessarily crush the CBSE...there are a lot of programs that are going to put him in the reject pile before his app gets off the secretary's desk

I didn't see anything wrong with this number...even stud candidates can fail to match if they don't rank enough programs. The OP has a poor GPA and won't necessarily crush the CBSE...there are a lot of programs that are going to put him in the reject pile before his app gets off the secretary's desk

Fair enough. I was looking at doing 8, might make it 10.

From what I have seen, the 4 year programs in the NY metro area are chock full of non categorical interns all jockeying for a PGY 1 OMFS slot. They are putting it all out there for the PD/Chair/Attending staff to see and often that works, even if their scores are not stellar. You are an untested unknown. Do an internship somewhere and get some more experience under your belt. There seem to be two open right now.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! I'm motivated more than ever to work my butt off!

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! I'm motivated more than ever to work my butt off!
Never let anyone tell you that OMFS is impossible simply because your rank is not good enough. My class rank was similar like yours. I'm now a PGY3 with a Step 1 score many med students wishes for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I don't see why all the comments are super negative here, op is in the top 25% of his class.... that's not top 10 but it's not absurd for an omfs residency if op gets a decent cbse and applies to a bunch of programs.

I don't see why all the comments are super negative here, op is in the top 25% of his class.... that's not top 10 but it's not absurd for an omfs residency if op gets a decent cbse and applies to a bunch of programs.
Google percentile

actually nvm it's kinda different definition when it comes to rank. Normally percentile means the amount of people with a lower number score (e.g. 25th percentile SAT only 25% scored lower or if you're 3rd quartile/75th percentile income means 75% of people earn less which is good for you) but with rank it's not. Guess they use percentiles using GPA (25th percentile GPA only 25% have lower, so in OP's case it's not good). These 2 websites explain
What is a percentile rank? | NWEA Community
What Is Class Rank? What Is a Good Rank?

Last edited:

Can we come up with a list that prefers to take applicants with internship experience?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile