interested in Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snumie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-
I am a second year med student interested in Pathology. I actually entered med school interested in Path. I am a little nervous because my program does not allow us to do a Path rotation until our fourth year-- when we are applying for residencies- do all schools do this? I think it is crazy! Will I be able to make a decision so quickly? Should I consider a post soph path program? any suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all-
I am a second year med student interested in Pathology. I actually entered med school interested in Path. I am a little nervous because my program does not allow us to do a Path rotation until our fourth year-- when we are applying for residencies- do all schools do this? I think it is crazy! Will I be able to make a decision so quickly? Should I consider a post soph path program? any suggestions would be appreciated.

That's the way it is for most everybody who went into path. And it is no different than if you were interested in rads, gas, some surgical and medical subspecialites, rad onc, PM&R, and other careers. It is hard to get much knowledge about what really goes on in those fields in your 3rd year rotations. Just deal with it.

That's the way it is for most everybody who went into path. And it is no different than if you were interested in rads, gas, some surgical and medical subspecialites, rad onc, PM&R, and other careers. It is hard to get much knowledge about what really goes on in those fields in your 3rd year rotations. Just deal with it.

Thanks for your help:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
It is difficult to get a sense of what pathology is really like during your regular rotations. During your surgery rotation, you could get some exposure to path by asking to follow the specimens from your patient to pathology and see how frozen sections are done. Joining the pathology interest group at your school (assuming your school has one) is another thought. Or you could set something up on your own. If the pathologists at your school are anything like they are at mine, they would be more than happy to have you spend some time in the path dept.

Forgot about the 4th year path elective. I think some schools will allow you to take an elective during your 3rd year and then take one of the required rotations during your 4th year. You could always ask to do that if you don't think taking it 4th year will give you enough time. However, you should be fine taking it at the beginning of your 4th year since you don't even begin to apply for residency until September. I don't think it's an issue for most people.

Thanks for your replies- unfortunately our school is rigid and our third year is set in stone- I will take your advice- and hopefully will have path rotation as the first one fourth year

It's not too hard to find out about the field and start exploring though. I am sure there are pathologists in your med school who would be happy to talk to you about the field and go over some things with you. But aside from that, set up your first months of fourth year as electives - applications aren't submitted until september, so you have time during fourth year. By that time you will have experienced third year and know what else you like (or don't like). You also have your second year now with lots of time, some med students do "mini" electives (unofficially, often) which can help them get more exposure.

You shouldn't do a post soph year if you just want to find out if you like path.

Thanks for your replies- unfortunately our school is rigid and our third year is set in stone- I will take your advice- and hopefully will have path rotation as the first one fourth year

Try to hang out with the residents at your school, go to sign out if you have some free time, or go to a couple grand rounds lectures. It can't hurt to get your face out there.

I was not able to do a Path rotation during 3rd year. I had to wait until August of my 4th year to do a path rotation. 3rd year is for core clerkships such as IM, surg, Family, Psych, Neuro, Peds, and OB/GYN. I know the Harvard med students are allowed to spend one week in pathology during their surgery rotation. But it's not really a rotation...it's more for them to just see pathology and to breathe/unwind from the rigors of surgery floor work and retracting in the ORs. Most of us who do pathology do a one month rotation in-house or an away rotation during early 4th year, secure letters, and apply. Usually this is not a problem but it is best if you are able to do the path rotation in July, August, or September. Don't do a PSF...not worth it these days as you get no credit for that year.

Hi all-

Agree w/ the others about getting involved (seeing what they do and asking ALOT of questions) with some of the pathologists at your school prior to your fourth year. I ended up doing a post-junior fellowship in AP before decidimg on going into pathology . Feel free to PM me with any questions.

3rd year is for core clerkships such as IM, surg, Family, Psych, Neuro, Peds, and OB/GYN. I know the Harvard med students are allowed to spend one week in pathology during their surgery rotation. But it's not really a rotation...it's more for them to just see pathology and to breathe/unwind from the rigors of surgery floor work and retracting in the ORs.

OP-I sympathize with your situation. Fortunately, you already have a decent idea about what you are interested in (I didn't). How much you find out about pathology is up to you. You are in 2nd year and likely taking a pathology course right now. If you went up to a professor after a lecture and said something like "I am interested in pathology and want to learn more about it, could I come in and look at some slides (recommended) or hang out in the gross room?"...how could they refuse? There are many other things you could do besides a post-soph year if that is not ideal, just be a little proactive as others have recommended.

I like the idea of a week of surg path during the surgery rotation. The medical school I attended was flexible for scheduling electives, but basically there's ~1/3 floors, 1/3 clinic, and 1/3 in the OR during third year. It's overkill, and a significant reason in my opinion why some people are undecided as 4th years and end up switching fields after 1-3 years of residency. How many medical students know by the beginning of 4th year what a pathologist does besides autopsies and frozen sections? If I knew more about it sooner, it would have been so obvious that path is perfect for me and made 3rd year so much less stressful.

Try pathology MS first....dont believe the hype

Try pathology MS first....dont believe the hype

So your a resident now, must have finished your health student status over the weekend. Congrats

So your a resident now, must have finished your health student status over the weekend. Congrats

he's a 'rezident' - clearly a superior form of resident based on his many intelligent and insightful posts.

to the OP: just keep plugging along, and keep an open mind during MS3 while also trying to get as much path exposure as you can

Hello All- Thanks for all of your imput- I am going to do everything you all suggested (grand rounds, sign out, talk to path profs, residents etc...) to get some exposure to path before 4th year! Then I will do an early path rotation 4th year- and hopefully all will be clear :)- Can't wait!!! Snumie