Interested in Pediatric Emergency Medicine

Started by curious30
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

curious30

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a pediatric resident interested in pediatric emergency medicine and I was wondering what percentage of PEM fellows are peds vs. EM. Also, what do most programs prefer?
Thanks
 
I am a pediatric resident interested in pediatric emergency medicine and I was wondering what percentage of PEM fellows are peds vs. EM. Also, what do most programs prefer?
Thanks

I heard from doing a rotation in a peds ER that most of the attendings and fellows are former peds residents. But Im not sure if they prefer that or its just how it ends up.
 
I heard from doing a rotation in a peds ER that most of the attendings and fellows are former peds residents. But Im not sure if they prefer that or its just how it ends up.

That's how it usually ends up, because going from EM-->PEM usually means a pay cut, despite 2 extra years of training, whereas going from Peds-->PEM means a significant pay raise after 3 extra years of training.

In my corner of the world, EM grads are getting 250k+/year jobs out of residency at non-university affiliated jobs. PEM fellows are pulling in 170-200k/year. So as an EM grad, you have to really love kids to want to do 2 extra years of training, only to end up making a whole lot less $$.