Interested in PM&R, but have Q's on applying.

Arhat

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2005
Hi I am interested in PM&R and will prob apply to PM&R programs. But I have some Q's

1) PM&R is a 3 year program plus 1 year of prelim year. Can one do a transitional year? I don't see prelim year in ERAS residency website.

2) Do we apply to Prelim and PM&R program at same time at 4th med year?

3) Why is it that NMRP website states that PGY-1 PM&R has only 82 spots (seems competitive to get into this one) vs PGY-2 spots that has 280 spot?
Does this mean that some programs don't require a Prelim year.

Thanks!

MSKalltheway

I got the magic stick
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hi I am interested in PM&R and will prob apply to PM&R programs. But I have some Q's

1) PM&R is a 3 year program plus 1 year of prelim year. Can one do a transitional year?

Yes

Yes

3) Why is it that NMRP website states that PGY-1 PM&R has only 82 spots (seems competitive to get into this one) vs PGY-2 spots that has 280 spot?

Some programs are "categorical", meaning they have a PGY-1 curriculum at the same institution which is "linked" with PGY's 2-4. "Advanced" spots are only PGY 2-4 and you need to do your prelim/transitional year separately from the PM&R residency.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2007

1) PM&R is a 3 year program plus 1 year of prelim year. Can one do a transitional year? I don't see prelim year in ERAS residency website.

Thanks!

1) Yes- prelim + 3 years. I believe you can do a transitional year as opposed to a prelim. Prelims are listed under Medicine-look at the programs that offer prelims, not all of them do.
2) Yes
3) Some programs may integrate the prelim into a 4 year program, but since I'm not going into the field, I can't help with that info. Sorry

Good luck

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.