Interested in PM&R, but have Q's on applying.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arhat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am interested in PM&R and will prob apply to PM&R programs. But I have some Q's

1) PM&R is a 3 year program plus 1 year of prelim year. Can one do a transitional year? I don't see prelim year in ERAS residency website.

2) Do we apply to Prelim and PM&R program at same time at 4th med year?

3) Why is it that NMRP website states that PGY-1 PM&R has only 82 spots (seems competitive to get into this one) vs PGY-2 spots that has 280 spot?
Does this mean that some programs don't require a Prelim year.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am interested in PM&R and will prob apply to PM&R programs. But I have some Q's

1) PM&R is a 3 year program plus 1 year of prelim year. Can one do a transitional year?

Yes

Yes

3) Why is it that NMRP website states that PGY-1 PM&R has only 82 spots (seems competitive to get into this one) vs PGY-2 spots that has 280 spot?

Some programs are "categorical", meaning they have a PGY-1 curriculum at the same institution which is "linked" with PGY's 2-4. "Advanced" spots are only PGY 2-4 and you need to do your prelim/transitional year separately from the PM&R residency.

1) PM&R is a 3 year program plus 1 year of prelim year. Can one do a transitional year? I don't see prelim year in ERAS residency website.

Thanks!

1) Yes- prelim + 3 years. I believe you can do a transitional year as opposed to a prelim. Prelims are listed under Medicine-look at the programs that offer prelims, not all of them do.
2) Yes
3) Some programs may integrate the prelim into a 4 year program, but since I'm not going into the field, I can't help with that info. Sorry

Good luck