Interested in Public Health related Pharm: Not interested in MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lnw26

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a P1 and I’m kinda interested in public health/resolution of health disparities (courtesy of the pandemic). Not particularly interested in an MPH considering this is only a burgeoning interest and I’m not doing any more school after I graduate. Does anyone work in public health and have any insight on how to get some info. This isn’t really my advisor’s wheelhouse.(Note this is not the only pharm field I’m interested in)

Members don't see this ad.

I’m a P1 and I’m kinda interested in public health/resolution of health disparities (courtesy of the pandemic). Not particularly interested in an MPH considering this is only a burgeoning interest and I’m not doing any more school after I graduate. Does anyone work in public health and have any insight on how to get some info. This isn’t really my advisor’s wheelhouse.(Note this is not the only pharm field I’m interested in)
Well, you need a added credential to get into public health, which is a MPH, residency or fellowship.

A new grad PharmD can’t get those jobs. The pharmacists that work for the CDC have some kind of residency or fellowship. A fellowship or residency would suffice without getting a MPH, but you need a some kind of credential.

If I were a P1, I would try to apply for internships at CDC, or NIH or even your state health department to get some intern/work experience and ask your preceptors in those sites what do I need to become a pharmacist in public health in the summer before P2 year or you can do this in the summer before P3 year. Just know that you will not have a summer after P3 year as you will head right to rotations-P4 year

P4 year: I know the NIH does have a fellowship that you can apply to when you are a P4. Also, as a P4 make sure you get rotations in the CDC or NIH before Mid year. In mid year, strictly apply to fellowships from NIH or CDC in PPS. PPS is where employers conduct job interviews for clinical PGY-2s, industry fellowships and fellowships with public health organizations

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
FDA has had a popular internship program as well. Pharmacists tend to have additional training and certifications before working there, but I have heard of people rarely being hired straight from graduation.

To get a bit political, consider voting for the party that wants to increase funding to these agencies rather than break them down if you want better job security.

Members don't see this ad :)