Help! Starting to Reconsider Optometry...Dont know what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clippersfaneyecare

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup guys, so I have been accepted into SUNY Optometry Class of 2024 but have been reading about all the negatives about the optometry profession for months even though I like the profession but now am not completely sure if I should go through with it. I was pre-dental and actually turned down a dental school acceptance because I can never imagine doing dental procedures the rest of my life (cant lie I was only pursuing it for the money). I thought of going into medicine but would only be interested in becoming an occupational medicine physician (I cannot do 80 hr weeks/30 hr shifts/on call that are seen in other specialties during residency). Is it really that egregious to believe that I can make 100k straight out of school if I am willing to work ANYWHERE in the US (even random rural areas in Alaska or North Dakota)? What do you guys suggest I do? Should I actually consider applying to medical school?

P.S. I know it sounds like I really care about money (I want to enjoy what I do but also make a comfortable salary) but I am not gonna bust my ass for four more years and start off making 60k as stated by people like Jason K

Also if it matters, my GPA is 3.96 with OAT of 340 AA 340 TS and DAT of 21 AA 21 TS

Members don't see this ad.

What/where can you see yourself in ten years? Do you actually like people or helping them? You'll hate Optometry/medicine if you're not much a people person.

Your day to day procedures will be pretty routine unless you work in a disease specialty clinic. Most Optometrists still preform refractions with some disease management.

My first calender year out of school I made $100k+ in 2007 and have never made less than that (even through 2008-2009).

Unfortunately, what I see that is happening more and more is that medical plans are carving out a lot of vision plan benefits. What used to be a $150+ eye exam reimbursement is being farmed out to VSP/Eyemed/Spectera to $40-$50 reimbursements. Even more Medicare Advantage plans are now using a vision rider for these eldery patients and expect you to see them for $40 reimbursement instead.

I'm 40 years old with a wife and three kids, and have zero debt. I don't really want to start over again in another profession. Would I go into it again if I was 22 years old, maybe but maybe not.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Just go to Med school

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just go to Med school
The problem with that option is the mcat is no joke of I test. For example I scored 400(99%) on the oat, 25(99%) on the dat and a 517(95%) on the mcat. I spent 1 month for the oat and dat and 4 months for the mcat. I recommend op sticks with OD or dentistry imo.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Loving these answers from non-optometrists, short and unhelpful as always. Let me give you a real answer, ready?

First of all, how dare you care about money. What, are you planning on living comfortably and supporting a family on a single income like a greedy bourgeois? You want to enjoy your job on top if it all? Get out of here and go to medical school where everyone is happy and financially free.

Kidding aside, you sound a lot like me before optometry school. I had many of the same doubts you did and read the same information on this site. Most of it is overblown, but there's truth in it as well. Optometry is saturated as a profession, but mostly in urban centers. You asked if 100k is unreasonable if you're willing to go anywhere, and the answer is no. I started at 100k my first year with a gradual increase after that. I recently opened my own clinic, which can be hard, but there is high earning potential.

The second major factor is that school is incredibly expensive. OD grads today leave with 200k and beyond in student loans. You are the only one who can decide if it is worth your investment. I also could not imagine myself doing dental or even MD jobs. I liked what I saw (mostly) when I shadowed ODs and I decided to pull the trigger. Overall I'm very happy with my investment because I've chosen a good area, and found a good job. Student loans will be paid off within 5-7 years and my family of four does well on my income alone. Many of my graduating class are in similarly successful situations, because they did not choose to practice in saturated areas.

Take those things into consideration and decide if you will 1. Enjoy the job enough to dedicate 30 years of your life to it. 2. Make it work financially and get your loans paid off, and 3. Be willing to go where the good jobs are. You don't have to move to a corn field.

Also make sure you think vision is interesting, and that you're ok interacting with new people every day. It's a people job, and if you hate people you'll hate this job, just like Ryan said.

Reactions: 4 users
Fellow SUNYO Class of 2024 here! I agree with a lot that was said above especially Snakedoctor1, you need to consider what you're willing to take on (debt, four more years of schooling or more with residency, possibly moving to make a higher income) and think about the payoff. If you feel like you may feel differently in a year when you’ve already started because you took on too much without thinking ahead, I would take a step back and rethink what you want to invest your time and money in. I graduated undergrad in 2017 and I didn’t want to commit to something I wasn’t 100% sure of. I went through the MCAT and applying to med school, to PA school and even dental and although I got in to each of them, I’m glad I didn’t take the plunge until I was 100% sure I was going into a career I loved. Which is why it took me 3 years to decide on grad school and finally start. You know best for yourself, I wish you luck in making the right decision for you! But if you do decide on OD, I hope to see you in August at SUNY! Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Sup guys, so I have been accepted into SUNY Optometry Class of 2024 but have been reading about all the negatives about the optometry profession for months even though I like the profession but now am not completely sure if I should go through with it. I was pre-dental and actually turned down a dental school acceptance because I can never imagine doing dental procedures the rest of my life (cant lie I was only pursuing it for the money). I thought of going into medicine but would only be interested in becoming an occupational medicine physician (I cannot do 80 hr weeks/30 hr shifts/on call that are seen in other specialties during residency). Is it really that egregious to believe that I can make 100k straight out of school if I am willing to work ANYWHERE in the US (even random rural areas in Alaska or North Dakota)? What do you guys suggest I do? Should I actually consider applying to medical school?

P.S. I know it sounds like I really care about money (I want to enjoy what I do but also make a comfortable salary) but I am not gonna bust my ass for four more years and start off making 60k as stated by people like Jason K

Also if it matters, my GPA is 3.96 with OAT of 340 AA 340 TS and DAT of 21 AA 21 TS

Well, I've got a medical specialty to sell you! Have you heard the good word on PM&R? 40-50 hrs a week. Like the inpatient setting? Great we got that. Like the outpatient setting? Great we got that too. 200-400k salary depending on what you sub-specialize in and how you run your practice. If you're into procedures, we have plenty of them especially if you do a fellowship.

Where do you live? Becoming a clinical lab scientist is another option if that's a career in your area. Much shorter schooling (1 year) with comparable salary. You don't have patient interaction, however.