Interesting article for applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays! I hope that the trail is treating you well. I am looking forward to the small break to be able to recharge the batteries and then refocus on finishing my last few interviews on a high note.

I was stumbling across information on the match process today and found an excellent article that every PM&R applicant should read. The study was done in 2012, so many of you may have already read it. It looks at what PM&R programs find important for issuing interview invites and also ranking applicants.

http://www.aapmr.org/members/residents/newsletter/Pages/Resident-Newsletter-February-2012-Issue.aspx

Highlights:
For issuing interviews the most important factors are Step 1 scores (88%) and PM&R LOR (86%). Step 2 scores (81%) and personal statement (79%) were important to a lesser extent. Most PDs treat grades on a pass/fail basis.

When ranking applicants, Step 1 and Step 2 scores are far less important than the interview itself. The most important factors of where applicants will be ranked are whether the applicant had match violations, and interactions with faculty during interview and visit.

So...your board scores, LOR, and PS will get you an invite....your personality will get you the spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users