Interesting article UIC endo resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am happy for her that she has had so much success with her book. I am sad however that I worked my ass off for so many years in IL paying taxes so that she could go to a state supported American dental school, only to be leaving with her fancy degree next year. Her spot could have gone to an Illinois resident or at least an American who planned to share the incredible gift of dentistry he/she has been blessed with by giving back to the country that supported their dream. Why isn't our country looking after our own interests first!!! We need to take a hint from Switzerland.

I am happy for her that she has had so much success with her book. I am sad however that I worked my ass off for so many years in IL paying taxes so that she could go to a state supported American dental school, only to be leaving with her fancy degree next year. Her spot could have gone to an Illinois resident or at least an American who planned to share the incredible gift of dentistry he/she has been blessed with by giving back to the country that supported their dream. Why isn't our country looking after our own interests first!!! We need to take a hint from Switzerland.

Complaining about foreign dentists coming into this country and about foreign dentists leaving this country...guess now I've heard it all.

But really, shame on this girl for using her "wonderful gift" that we bestowed upon her with OUR tax dollars just so she can go back to her male-dominated Arab country, stand up in the face of inequality, and prove her worth.

Sorry, but your "working your ass off" probably doesn't hold a candle to her struggle to overcome repression.

And, politically speaking, we do have interests in Saudi Arabia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr2bsoon

Its basic diplomacy. The U.S. takes many foreign students -- it helps spread our "good image" across the world, is part of international diplomacy (you better believe saudi arabia is doing us favors for taking their students), and it helps spread our "dominance" in academic fields across the world. But most importantly, its an academic tradition -- usually, academics should know no boundaries. Countries which are at the peak of academics attract minds from all over the world. Aside from America, many people go to England to study. Many centuries ago, it was another world power. For example, centuries ago while Europe was in the dark ages, scholars from across Central Asia and the Middle East gathered in cities like Baghdad to share their knowledge. In Muslim Spain, it was a mix of Jewish, Christian and Muslim scholars and scientists sharing knowledge. In this day and age, America and the West is at the top, so people from other countries come here. Its a part of scholarship -- sharing knowledge and spreading ideas. If today America were to shut its university's doors to foreign students you better believe there would be trouble. Go to any research lab -- many of the assistants/researchers are Asian, Indian, Arab, Russian, European, etc.

About this story, its good to see this from a Saudi woman. They're good people, and other people should realize not all Muslims are terrorists.

Wow. The complete opposite of what I was looking for, but we all have our own opinions. I am hoping that your paradigm will shift a little after some of these comments. Equality and top notch training will be some powerful attributes to bring back to S.A.

I am also going to make a radical statement that the amount of your tax dollars that went to her education are probably something along the lines of .000000000001% or less.

I am much happier paying taxes in the future for something like this than the various other money wasters our taxes go to.