Interesting case--conduct disorder/anti-social red flags but shows empathy/gentleness towards animals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A supervisee brought up an interesting case--13 y/o boy with many, many red flags for conduct disorder/anti-social traits (e.g., engaging in frequent verbal and physical violence towards others without an apparent emotional dysregulation or trigger, engages in verbal and physical violence without an apparent behavioral goal, has broadly normal cognitive functioning, his only concern about the potential effects of the violence are if he'll go to jail for it/no apparent remorse or empathy towards victims, says he engages in violence because "he can", behavior consistent across settings/people, etc). However, when a staff member brought a dog to the office, he showed a great deal of care and empathy towards the dog, treating the dog gently and tenderly and commenting that the dog should be treated with care and given space and a good environment.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Even Hitler loved his dog.

But on a more serious note, people who have antisocial personality disorder aren't always complete monsters or robots who are consistent at all times. Second, he could just be superficially charming you. Third, he likely gets something out of a relationship with a dog. Don't we all? The dog isn't going to judge him, criticize his behaviors, or hold him accountable, or even ask for much. A dog is largely subordinate and dependent on the human.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Yeah, I recall from reading Mindhunter that there was at least one serial killer in there taking loving care of prison mice.

Members don't see this ad :)
But on a more serious note, people who have antisocial personality disorder aren't always complete monsters or robots who are consistent at all times.
This is pretty much what I told the student, so I appreciate knowing others have the same thought.

Reactions: 6 users
We all have a bit of antisocial in us, some more than others and it’s a spectrum

Even Hitler loved his dog.

But on a more serious note, people who have antisocial personality disorder aren't always complete monsters or robots who are consistent at all times. Second, he could just be superficially charming you. Third, he likely gets something out of a relationship with a dog. Don't we all? The dog isn't going to judge him, criticize his behaviors, or hold him accountable, or even ask for much. A dog is largely subordinate and dependent on the human.

100%
I wouldn't discount the fact that he could be charming you/adhering superficially to social norms as well in the office. It would be interesting to see how he reacts when the dog does something he doesn't like.

Reactions: 3 users
I have seen many criminal defendants with obvious ASPD. Of those, only a minority have a history of cruelty to animals. I don’t have the statistics on this, but my anecdotal experience is that a history of serious and recurrent cruelty to animals (I.e. not that they got pissed off and kicked the dog once, more like deliberate and repetitive cruel acts) significantly increases the pretest probability of conduct disorder or ASPD but the inverse is less true. Although people with ASPD probably have higher rates of cruelty to animals, it is by no means a universal feature. Said another way, I think that deliberate and repetitive cruelty to animals probably has a relatively high specificity but low sensitivity for conduct disorder/ASPD.

You also have to remember that sociopathy is not a black and white thing. Like other personality disorders, there is a wide range of severity and presentations. It’s not like every borderline person is stabbing their partner when they think they are going to break up with them. Similarly, not every sociopath completely lacks empathy in all situations or lacks the ability to be kind to animals.

Additionally, as others have mentioned, it is possible that what you’re interpreting as kindness to animals is not as it seems. From my experience, sociopaths are more frequently Machiavellian than sadistic. They can view people and things as objects to be used for their own purposes. There is no reason to suspect that petting a dog would be wholly ungratifying for a sociopath, so it’s possible that what he was getting from seemingly prosocial behaviors with the animal was greater than what he would have gotten from cruel behaviors. Finally, it is also possible that he is aware of the negative consequences he endures in response to antisocial behaviors and is suppressing them for another goal, such as less attention from authority figures.

Last edited:
Said another way, I think that deliberate and repetitive cruelty to animals probably has a relatively high specificity but low sensitivity for conduct disorder/ASPD.
Great post, and not to detract from it, but in a younger population repeated cruelty to animals should raise alarms for ID/ASD/sensory processing disorder. I'm sure it's obvious to most people here but a 6 year old who keeps hurting the dog should not have future ASPD as the top of differential (I've heard this a lot, particularly in the foster system).

The McDonald triad is not fully supported by the literature. Nor is psychopathy, as a unique construct.

Just because you can break the rules, doesn't mean you want to break them. People have preferences, even in crimes.

Reactions: 2 users
Great post, and not to detract from it, but in a younger population repeated cruelty to animals should raise alarms for ID/ASD/sensory processing disorder. I'm sure it's obvious to most people here but a 6 year old who keeps hurting the dog should not have future ASPD as the top of differential (I've heard this a lot, particularly in the foster system).
That critique is well-taken. On its face, what you’re saying sounds likely to be accurate. I am not a child and adolescent psychiatrist, so I’m not well versed in the outcomes of children with these symptoms. My experience with conduct disorder mostly comes from retrospectively reviewing the records of people with active felony charges, so there’s an obvious bias there with respect to the issue you raise and I should be careful not to extrapolate too much from that.

Nor is psychopathy, as a unique construct.
I’m curious about what you mean by this. Are you saying that current diagnostic models of ASPD/sociopathy/psychopathy tend to reveal multi-factor latent structures, or that there are not underlying psychopathological processes that can result in the phenotypes described by these models?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that the former claim is likely true but the latter is likely false.

My understanding is that there have been studies subjecting various diagnostic criteria and checklists to factor analysis and that the results typically do not reveal a single unifying factor. However, it is also my understanding that ASPD is correlated with a variety of genetic factors, neuroanatomical changes, and functional imaging changes. My read on it is that these concepts are probably imprecisely defining real pathological phenotypes. I’m not sure you were implying this, but I’m not sure that the takeaway is that ASPD/sociopathy/psychopathy does not exist.

I’m curious about what you mean by this. Are you saying that current diagnostic models of ASPD/sociopathy/psychopathy tend to reveal multi-factor latent structures, or that there are not underlying psychopathological processes that can result in the phenotypes described by these models?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that the former claim is likely true but the latter is likely false.

My understanding is that there have been studies subjecting various diagnostic criteria and checklists to factor analysis and that the results typically do not reveal a single unifying factor. However, it is also my understanding that ASPD is correlated with a variety of genetic factors, neuroanatomical changes, and functional imaging changes. My read on it is that these concepts are probably imprecisely defining real pathological phenotypes. I’m not sure you were implying this, but I’m not sure that the takeaway is that ASPD/sociopathy/psychopathy does not exist.

I disagree with the general premise of the question. Psychopathy is not synonymous with ASPD. One is a personality construct. One is a personality disorder. Factor analysis has consistently shown these are separate things. As does the literature and manual that indicate that while while a majority of psychopaths have ASPD, only a minority of individuals with ASPD are psychopaths.

Hare initially stated that the two disorders were synonymous, and then reversed his standpoint when he got interested in white collar variants and the DSM-IV studies showed discordance between ASPD and psychopathy.

Reactions: 3 users
I disagree with the general premise of the question. Psychopathy is not synonymous with ASPD. One is a personality construct. One is a personality disorder. Factor analysis has consistently shown these are separate things. As does the literature and manual that indicate that while while a majority of psychopaths have ASPD, only a minority of individuals with ASPD are psychopaths.

Hare initially stated that the two disorders were synonymous, and then reversed his standpoint when he got interested in white collar variants and the DSM-IV studies showed discordance between ASPD and psychopathy.
Sure, but it’s pretty obvious that these concepts all aim to describe the same or similar psychopathology. The fact that there is discordance between the DSM diagnosis of ASPD and the Hare Psychopathy Checklist seems to mainly be an issue of construct validity, which is kind of a pedantic critique of my question.

My question was basically whether you doubt the existence of some sort of psychopathology that is characterized by emotional callousness and recurrent criminal behavior, or if you merely believe that the current constructs inadequately describe it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, but it’s pretty obvious that these concepts all aim to describe the same or similar psychopathology. The fact that there is discordance between the DSM diagnosis of ASPD and the Hare Psychopathy Checklist seems to mainly be an issue of construct validity, which is kind of a pedantic critique of my question.
I think if you look at ASPD criteria in the DSM v the Hare checklist they are not really talking about the same thing at all. ASPD captures the dude doing 10 years for his third armed robbery, the Hare checklist captures Ted Bundy.

My question was basically whether you doubt the existence of some sort of psychopathology that is characterized by emotional callousness and recurrent criminal behavior, or if you merely believe that the current constructs inadequately describe it.

Not that @PsyDr has...any trouble speaking for themselves, but I take the point to be that ASPD and psychopathy are separable and conflating them is a category error, because they are not even the same kind of thing

Reactions: 1 users
I think if you look at ASPD criteria in the DSM v the Hare checklist they are not really talking about the same thing at all. ASPD captures the dude doing 10 years for his third armed robbery, the Hare checklist captures Ted Bundy.

Not that @PsyDr has...any trouble speaking for themselves, but I take the point to be that ASPD and psychopathy are separable and conflating them is a category error, because they are not even the same kind of thing
I’m not sure I buy that they are trying to capture different things. To use your example, ASPD captures Bundy, too. The two concepts overlap a lot. I’m sure there are some cases that are captured by one but not the other, but that’s not really my point.

I think that these two concepts are essentially “aiming” at the same pathological entity. That is, I think that they both purport to measure the same psychopathological entity. They may have different ideas about what characteristics best define it, but again, that’s a question of construct validity.

Since you brought up serial killers, for the most part, the distinguishing feature there is not a fundamentally different type of personality vulnerability, but rather a concomitant paraphilia. The dramatic presentation of most of the famous serial killers comes from the fact that they are sadists or necrophiles rather than a fundamentally different type of personality defect.

It is and it isn't. You conflated two things, which I disagree with.

Here's a theoretical demonstration:

1) A married colleague goes to a conference alone, has sex with someone he met at the hotel bar, goes back to his room, calls his wife, tells her that he is going to bed early, gets an STI panel before he goes home, and tells her nothing. He comes to your office because he is guilt ridden, because he has actively imagined how this would emotionally affect her. He also tells you that this has happened before.

2) A married colleague goes online, finds a sex worker in another city, locates a conference in that city, uses that conference as a cover story to see the sex worker, calls his wife at times that demonstrate he is in conference, contracts herpes, passes it to his wife, tells her that she must have been a latent carrier who gave it to him, and uses that as leverage to get his wife to do things for him. He comes to your office, expressly telling you that treatment seeking will further manipulate his spouse. He also tells you that he has done this before, and is proud of it.

A supervisee brought up an interesting case--13 y/o boy with many, many red flags for conduct disorder/anti-social traits (e.g., engaging in frequent verbal and physical violence towards others without an apparent emotional dysregulation or trigger, engages in verbal and physical violence without an apparent behavioral goal, has broadly normal cognitive functioning, his only concern about the potential effects of the violence are if he'll go to jail for it/no apparent remorse or empathy towards victims, says he engages in violence because "he can", behavior consistent across settings/people, etc). However, when a staff member brought a dog to the office, he showed a great deal of care and empathy towards the dog, treating the dog gently and tenderly and commenting that the dog should be treated with care and given space and a good environment.

Thoughts?

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest this kid is very angry, maybe depressed, and possibly abused or bullied. You said without apparent emotional dysregulation but based on what exactly? Like the few minutes before or like a week before? Even in conduct disorder, there are triggers. Did you rule out home situation/school situation that is causing this aggression? Don't forget that in kids (and especially if someone is emotionally younger than age), the way depression and abuse often manifests is in this type of anger toward others and rebellion. I wouldn't jump to conduct disorder until these have been ruled out at least, regardless of behavior toward the dog.

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest this kid is very angry, maybe depressed, and possibly abused or bullied. You said without apparent emotional dysregulation but based on what exactly? Like the few minutes before or like a week before? Even in conduct disorder, there are triggers. Did you rule out home situation/school situation that is causing this aggression? Don't forget that in kids (and especially if someone is emotionally younger than age), the way depression and abuse often manifests is in this type of anger toward others and rebellion. I wouldn't jump to conduct disorder until these have been ruled out at least, regardless of behavior toward the dog.
This was my initial thought too. I want to know about abuse history and his self-esteem. Sounds like someone who has been mistreated trying to take control and make the violence predictable and understandable (i.e. "because I can").

Also, I think ASPD as a construct/diagnosis is not helpful (to patients). It might as well have one criteria: 1) is a bad person. It doesn't describe the underlying psychology that drives the behavior and so it captures a diverse group of people with few meaningful similarities. It would be like if the BPD criteria were: 1)yells/screams a lot, 2)overreacts, 3)can't handle life.

Last edited:
With the limited info given in the OP, I'm confused why we're jumping straight to talks about antisocial personality when he's not even solidly meeting the ridiculously broad criteria for conduct disorder. He's aggressive because he "can be". So what? Why is he being verbally and physically aggressive? Does he enjoy it? Is it poor impulse control? Is he trying to avoid something or hide something? I'm sure there's plenty more to the story suggesting antisocial or sociopathic traits, but I agree with Mass Effect that with the info given it seems like a leap without exploring other psychosocial factors that would point to something else going on...

when he's not even solidly meeting the ridiculously broad criteria for conduct disorder.
What are you talking about? I didn’t assume that OP’s description was exhaustive, and even so we have evidence of: bullying, threatening, or intimidating others (implied by “verbal violence”), initiating physical fights, and cruelty to people (willfully causing pain to others while feeling no concern about it).

We could have discussions about the validity of conduct disorder and ASPD diagnoses, but I have no idea where you came to the conclusion that “he’s not even solidly meeting the ridiculously broad criteria for conduct disorder.” He clearly does meet the criteria, even based on the limited information we have been given.

What are you talking about? I didn’t assume that OP’s description was exhaustive, and even so we have evidence of: bullying, threatening, or intimidating others (implied by “verbal violence”), initiating physical fights, and cruelty to people (willfully causing pain to others while feeling no concern about it).

We could have discussions about the validity of conduct disorder and ASPD diagnoses, but I have no idea where you came to the conclusion that “he’s not even solidly meeting the ridiculously broad criteria for conduct disorder.” He clearly does meet the criteria, even based on the limited information we have been given.

Meh. If you'll allow me a moment of blasphemy here, the DSM is crap. The behavior above may fit nicely into the conduct disorder category (and all the stupid and meaningless specifiers or whatever), but it doesn't account for the other potential causes of the exact same behavior. I find that if you follow the DSM without thinking about the case, you will give an academic diagnosis to your patients without actually helping them.

Meh. If you'll allow me a moment of blasphemy here, the DSM is crap. The behavior above may fit nicely into the conduct disorder category (and all the stupid and meaningless specifiers or whatever), but it doesn't account for the other potential causes of the exact same behavior. I find that if you follow the DSM without thinking about the case, you will give an academic diagnosis to your patients without actually helping them.

If psychiatry boards had an essay portion, one prompt really ought to be:

"Conduct Disorder is the DSM's euphemism for 'bad kid'." Discuss.

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users

Our fellowship exam has an essay section that involves analysing a quote or statement, and that does sound like the sort of thing that would come up.

Definitely agree with this, and more information needs to be presented to understand what is going on. A full family history would also be helpful to establish whether this is some kind of learned behaviour, as there are many potential explanations for childhood aggression and violence. Are the "victims" of the OP actually victims, or are they bullies who instigated things so it would make sense to not have empathy for them.

Last edited:
This guy

Attachments

• 400.jpg
    400.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 40
Sure, I guess. But I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and assumed that OP wasn’t considering conduct disorder without considering literally anything else. I don’t know why that’s the critique you seemed to jump to.

There are many different ways to frame this, but you chose the moral one. In any case, some people are, in fact, “bad.” Not irredeemable or wholly bad, mind you, but certainly bad in the sense that their personality structure is such that it leads them to repeatedly do bad things.

The other, less judgmental way of framing it is that humans have evolved prosocial behaviors, and the selective pressures have formed a distribution with central tendency just as with most other behaviors that have consequences for fitness and survival. Even so, some people are going to fall on an extreme of the distribution as a matter of temperament, and those people cause significant problems for the social fabric. In more primitive societies, these people would probably have been left to starve in a valley somewhere but we’ve rightly decided that there must be better ways to treat these people or even rehabilitate them. Still, these types of problems cause significant obstacles to successful integration into society. Given that most of what we treat in psychiatry is functional impairment, I fail to see why this is much less valid a characterization than anything else we treat. You could make the argument that conduct disorder and ASPD likely capture a variety of different pathologies, but that argument could be made of any number of disorders including schizophrenia.

Sure, I guess. But I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and assumed that OP wasn’t considering conduct disorder without considering literally anything else. I don’t know why that’s the critique you seemed to jump to.

There are many different ways to frame this, but you chose the moral one. In any case, some people are, in fact, “bad.” Not irredeemable or wholly bad, mind you, but certainly bad in the sense that their personality structure is such that it leads them to repeatedly do bad things.

The other, less judgmental way of framing it is that humans have evolved prosocial behaviors, and the selective pressures have formed a distribution with central tendency just as with most other behaviors that have consequences for fitness and survival. Even so, some people are going to fall on an extreme of the distribution as a matter of temperament, and those people cause significant problems for the social fabric. In more primitive societies, these people would probably have been left to starve in a valley somewhere but we’ve rightly decided that there must be better ways to treat these people or even rehabilitate them. Still, these types of problems cause significant obstacles to successful integration into society. Given that most of what we treat in psychiatry is functional impairment, I fail to see why this is much less valid a characterization than anything else we treat. You could make the argument that conduct disorder and ASPD likely capture a variety of different pathologies, but that argument could be made of any number of disorders including schizophrenia.

I mean, there's a whole thread before my comment on the DSM. I assume you were following? A few of us believe there are other things to be ruled out first. I can't imagine why that take would be controversial.

Thoughts?

What does "without an apparent emotional trigger" mean? How was this determined? I'm imagining a kid walking down the hall in school with his friends, laughing and joking, who then stops and punches a random students and goes right back to what he was doing. Sounds odd.

Just because the student who saw him could not deduce a behavioral goal does not mean there wasn't one.

How was the intent behind the violence assessed? Did they simply ask "why did you hit that person?" Because this would be a stupid way to assess an angry, defensive teen and seems likely to elicit a equally stupid (but perhaps developmentally appropriate) response such as "because I can."

What is this kid's neurodevelopmental history? ADHD? ASD? Is there an abuse or neglect history? Has he experienced psychological trauma in school?

Could it be conduct/ASPD with limited pro social emotions/callousness? Perhaps. But I'd want to do a lot more by way of evaluation/assessment and avoid premature closure.

I think that the DSM is the source of the moral framing here, which is why I am not a fan of the diagnosis of conduct disorder. To illustrate, I will apply Jonathan Sadler's Moral Wrongfulness Test (MWT) when analyzing diagnostic categories to see how irretrievably moral judgments are embedded in the definition of the disorder in question. The MWT is simple and poses two basic questions when examining any psychiatric diagnosis:

1. Would a substantial number of people of this culture, when considering the behavior or experience in question, conclude that this behavior or experience is morally wrong?

2. Is it possible to revise or eliminate morally-laden criteria while preserving the basic structure of the disorder?

If a disorder has criteria that are heavily morally-laden and it does not seem to be possible to simply eliminate the morally-laden criteria, Sadler would suggest that we should be thinking very hard about whether we are really talking about a disease entity or simply a way of medicalizing our values.

Let's compare and contrast conduct disorder with schizophrenia. My comments in bold.

Conduct Disorder

A. A repetitive and persistent pattern of behavior in which the basic rights of others or major age-appropriate societal norms or rules are violated, as manifested by the presence of at least three of the following 15 criteria in the past 12 months from any of the categories below, with at least one criterion present in the past 6 months:

Persistently violating the basic rights of others and breaking major social rules repetitively is absolutely something a significant number of people would conclude is morally wrong. If it's not bad to violate people's rights, in what sense are they rights?

Aggression to People and Animals

1. Often bullies, threatens, or intimidates others.

Does anyone really think bullies who go around threatening people are acting in an upstanding and morally correct fashion? "bullies" presupposes that this threatening and intimidation is not justified.

2. Often initiates physical fights.

Many people feel that it is wrong to constantly be starting physical altercations, but maybe there are good reasons, give it a pass

3. Has used a weapon that can cause serious physical harm to others (e.g., a bat, brick, broken bottle, knife, gun).

Without very good justification this is definitely a no-no for most people's morality. The particular list of weapons suggests something very opportunistic but say we strike that, maybe we can give it a pass

4. Has been physically cruel to people.

"Cruel" presupposes vice, basically.

5. Has been physically cruel to animals.

Ditto.

6. Has stolen while confronting a victim (e.g., mugging, purse snatching, extortion, armed robbery).

You're not just taking something that doesn't belong to you or stealing, you are stealing from a "victim", which means you are victimizing them. This is generally regarded as a morally bad thing. You also have to be doing it while confronting them and the examples support the idea this is to be understood as stealing from them in a violent way, which most people would regard as double-bad.

7. Has forced someone into sexual activity.

I really hope it doesn't have to be explained why this is morally wrong.

Destruction of Property

8. Has deliberately engaged in fire setting with the intention of causing serious damage.

Not starting fires because you have some irresistible impulse, but specifically to be destructive and in a calculated, controlled way. I don't see how you rephrase this in a morally neutral way.

9. Has deliberately destroyed others’ property (other than by fire setting).

Could be accidental, gets a pass.

Deceitfulness or Theft

10. Has broken into someone else’s house, building, or car.
Fairly neutral, maybe they forgot their keys and you are helping them out. Locksmiths are not intrinsically evil.

11. Often lies to obtain goods or favors or to avoid obligations (i.e., “cons” others).

You cannot "con" someone in a morally good way, and obligations are obligations because we recognize that you are morally obliged to honor them. If avoiding them is not bad they are not actual obligations.

12. Has stolen items of nontrivial value without confronting a victim (e.g., shoplifting, but without breaking and entering; forgery).

Maybe you are desperate and just trying to get by, could be regrettable but necessary. I don't think it's hard to imagine scenarios in which anyone might do this with a heavy heart. Certainly much less wrong than number 6, let's give it a pass.

Serious Violations of Rules
13. Often stays out at night despite parental prohibitions, beginning before age 13 years.

You wouldn't want your kid to do it, but not necessarily wrong.

14. Has run away from home overnight at least twice while living in the parental or parental surrogate home, or once without returning for a lengthy period.

Again, alarming to a parent but could be there's a very good reason.

15. Is often truant from school, beginning before age 13 years.

Morally neutral, unless you believe that children missing school is morally wrong, in which case be prepared to apply that judgment to any family that takes their kids out a couple days early to go on vacation.

Leaving just the criteria that aren't obviously value-laden, we have a disorder with seven possible criteria. Three of them have to do with not listening to your parents and playing hooky, Also maybe you start fights that get real serious real fast and you steal things without directly hurting anyone. Not ideal childhood behavior, sure, but maybe your parents suck and you grow up in a rough neighborhood.

@sloop , can we agree that what is left of conduct disorder in this analysis is missing a lot of the core features that probably make it predictive of ASPD? I also wonder how one would justify what remains as mental disorder. So I think we can conclude that conduct disorder is a heavily moral-laden construct.

Whereas schizophrenia:

Two or more of the following for at least 1 month (or longer period of time), and at least one of them must be a 1, 2, or 3:

delusions
hallucinations
disorganized speech
grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior
negative symptoms, such as diminished emotional expression

While all of these things can be unnerving and certainly upsetting and impairing for the person experiencing them, I am hard-pressed to imagine anyone describing, say, hallucinating as being morally wrong in and of itself.

Impairment in one of the major areas of functioning for a significant period of time since the onset of the disturbance: Work, interpersonal relations, or self-care.

If you wanted to be a very strict Aristotelian you might say this is intrinsically vicious (in the sense of vice) but I think that's a pretty rare intuition. Doesn't seem to have a significant moral judgment embedded in it, though obviously not free of subjectivity.

Some signs of the disorder must last for a continuous period of at least 6 months. This six-month period must include at least one month of symptoms (or less if treated) that meet criterion A (active phase symptoms) and may include periods of residual symptoms. During residual periods, only negative symptoms may be present.

Boring time-keeping, not morally relevant.

Schizoaffective disorder and bipolar or depressive disorder with psychotic features have been ruled out:

• No major depressive or manic episodes occurred concurrently with active phase symptoms
  • If mood episodes (depressive or manic) have occurred during active phase symptoms, they have been present for a minority of the total duration of the active and residual phases of the illness.
I fail to see the moral wrongness or lack of virtue here. Just a question of interpreting chronology and collecting adequate information.

1. The disturbance is not caused by the effects of a substance or another medical condition

If anything this vitiates the possible moral judgment some might attach to hallucinating or being delusional because of, say, smoking weed.

2. If there is a history of autism spectrum disorder or a communication disorder (childhood onset), the diagnosis of schizophrenia is only made if prominent delusions or hallucinations, along with other symptoms, are present for at least one month.

Again, no questions of moral relevance here. No one would conclude that someone actually has a childhood communication disorder, therefore that person is insalubrious.

Schizophrenia as a diagnosis is not value-free (there are assumptions about autonomy, functional independence, and 'productivity' standards we hold adults to) but it is not an especially moral value-laden construct. You will note how starkly different this is to conduct disorder. And for those who say we should be really comparing to personality disorders, I would suggest applying the MWT as an exercise. I think you will find that personality d/o's actually differ a fair bit in the extent to which they pass the MWT, but it is fair to say that ASPD does not under most analyses, which does not increase my confidence that its obligate predecessor is morally neutral.

The other, less judgmental way of framing it is that humans have evolved prosocial behaviors, and the selective pressures have formed a distribution with central tendency just as with most other behaviors that have consequences for fitness and survival. Even so, some people are going to fall on an extreme of the distribution as a matter of temperament, and those people cause significant problems for the social fabric. In more primitive societies, these people would probably have been left to starve in a valley somewhere but we’ve rightly decided that there must be better ways to treat these people or even rehabilitate them. Still, these types of problems cause significant obstacles to successful integration into society.

I am very leery of ev-psych explanations for this sort of thing because you can construct arbitrarily many just-so stories with enough handwaving at the "ancestral environment", which ends up being underspecified in the extreme and also often based on modern hunter-gatherers, a population of people who notably life in the geographical areas so resource-poor that nobody bothered displacing them. I don't know a pattern of facts that ev psych could not in principle explain about human behavior, and that is a serious problem. As Jerry Fodor put it, 'Mother Nature is God in drag."

Given that most of what we treat in psychiatry is functional impairment, I fail to see why this is much less valid a characterization than anything else we treat.

People plausibly fall on a distribution when it comes to innate musical talent, and some people seem like they don't have a musical bone in their body. Say I am one of those people and I had parents who were concert pianists. They are very invested in me being a professional musician and I also aspire to this, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it and remain terrible no matter how hard I work. This causes me a lot of distress and certainly impairs my chances of being a professional musician.

Is "can't carry a tune in a bucket" a mental disorder? Why not? Having established that, why does conduct disorder count?

You could make the argument that conduct disorder and ASPD likely capture a variety of different pathologies, but that argument could be made of any number of disorders including schizophrenia.

I agree with you there for sure.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I also assumed the OP had done a more thorough assessment of the patient than the 1 paragraph. Figured it was pretty safe to assume that. Certainly if there's truly a lack of ability to empathize with repeated violence, that's not great.

The post above is an excellent analysis, but I agree that ASPD/conduct disorder is innately a value driven diagnosis. It's literally in the first sentence for both of them as the main qualifier for the diagnosis (violating the rights of others). Even within personality disorders, none of the other ones are primarily driven by how the patient's behavior affects others.

It could be useful for classification purposes essentially saying "hey here's a collection of traits I see in this person" but unfortunately it's not really? Because conduct disorder for example can capture anything from a serial rapist who runs away from home to a con artist to a serial murderer who tortures animals to a serious bully that beats up/steals from every kid he sees to literally just a kid who runs away from home all the time and is truant from school....you only have to hit 3 criteria.

So let's look at criteria and see what is "met" (bolded):

A. A repetitive and persistent pattern of behavior in which the basic rights of others or major age-appropriate societal norms or rules are violated, as manifested by the presence of at least three of the following 15 criteria in the past 12 months from any of the categories below, with at least one criterion present in the past 6 months:

3. Has used a weapon that can cause serious physical harm to others (e.g., a bat, brick, broken bottle, knife, gun).
4. Has been physically cruel to people. Maybe??? not actually stated in OP
6. Has stolen while confronting a victim (e.g., mugging, purse snatching, extortion, armed robbery).

Destruction of Property

8. Has deliberately engaged in fire setting with the intention of causing serious damage.

Deceitfulness or Theft

11. Often lies to obtain goods or favors or to avoid obligations (i.e., “cons” others).
12. Has stolen items of nontrivial value without confronting a victim (e.g., shoplifting, but without breaking and entering; forgery).

13. Often stays out at night despite parental prohibitions, beginning before age 13 years.
14. Has run away from home overnight at least twice while living in the parental or parental surrogate home, or once without returning for a lengthy period.

So per OP's post, not even solidly meeting criteria as nothing in points 3-15 were solidly confirmed. I agree that OP probably left a ton of info out for sake of brevity, but to jump straight to conduct/antisocial without more info is kind of pointless. It's like saying: "70 yo patient is showing a lot of red flags for Bipolar I d/o (Decreased sleep, grandiose thoughts, delusions that they are famous, easily distractible, etc) but has never been manic before" and then asking what we think of this. I realize this is hyperbolic and not the best example, but I still don't know why we're jumping to those conclusions without more info. We even went a step beyond that and started talking about psychopathy/sociopathy. They're fair thoughts, but I want a lot more info before I jump on that train. Are they impulsive? Are there any consequences that are an actual deterrent? How extensive is the fighting/violence? Is he just beating people up/bullying them or is he actually torturing them? I mean, I understand the assumptions that are being made, I just think that without more information there's no way we can give thoughts that aren't extremely generalized with any sort of confidence.

So let's look at criteria and see what is "met" (bolded):

4. Has been physically cruel to people. Maybe??? not actually stated in OP

Destruction of Property

Deceitfulness or Theft

So per OP's post, not even solidly meeting criteria as nothing in points 3-15 were solidly confirmed. I agree that OP probably left a ton of info out for sake of brevity, but to jump straight to conduct/antisocial without more info is kind of pointless. It's like saying: "70 yo patient is showing a lot of red flags for Bipolar I d/o (Decreased sleep, grandiose thoughts, delusions that they are famous, easily distractible, etc) but has never been manic before" and then asking what we think of this. I realize this is hyperbolic and not the best example, but I still don't know why we're jumping to those conclusions without more info. We even went a step beyond that and started talking about psychopathy/sociopathy. They're fair thoughts, but I want a lot more info before I jump on that train. Are they impulsive? Are there any consequences that are an actual deterrent? How extensive is the fighting/violence? Is he just beating people up/bullying them or is he actually torturing them? I mean, I understand the assumptions that are being made, I just think that without more information there's no way we can give thoughts that aren't extremely generalized with any sort of confidence.
How exactly are you defining cruelty that you think a person callously inflicting pain and suffering “because they can” doesn’t qualify?

How exactly are you defining cruelty that you think a person callously inflicting pain and suffering “because they can” doesn’t qualify?

I don't define it by the legal definition of just inflicting pain, IMO it's violence or acts with the intention of inflicting suffering. Just starting fights or or randomly punching someone and walking away isn't cruelty, it's just being an a-hole.

I don't define it by the legal definition of just inflicting pain, IMO it's violence or acts with the intention of inflicting suffering. Just starting fights or or randomly punching someone and walking away isn't cruelty, it's just being an a-hole.
It is not just the legal definition. It is the general definition. Doesn’t really matter what you think the definition is “IMO,” randomly hurting people for funsies is cruel.

Cruelty (Oxford English Dictionary)
callous indifference to or pleasure in causing pain and suffering.

Cruel (Merriam-Webster English Dictionary)
disposed to inflict pain or suffering : devoid of humane feelings

Also, how exactly do you explain the behavior you mentioned (randomly punching someone and walking away) without an intention to cause suffering? Are you assuming that punching someone and walking away is just some sort of automatism, or that the person punching another person and walking away doesn’t actually mean to hurt the person they’re punching? That just seems implausible in most circumstances. It also seems to be inconsistent with your evaluation that doing so makes you an a-hole. Surely if someone hits someone else but doesn’t intend to hurt them, that’s just an accident and wouldn’t necessarily make them an a-hole, right?

Last edited:
It almost seems like a pointless debate. This kid is invariably going to end up Just Like Dad. I'm only partially kidding

It is not just the legal definition. It is the general definition. Doesn’t really matter what you think the definition is “IMO,” randomly hurting people for funsies is cruel.

Also, how exactly do you explain the behavior you mentioned (randomly punching someone and walking away) without an intention to cause suffering? Are you assuming that punching someone and walking away is just some sort of automatism, or that the person punching another person and walking away doesn’t actually mean to hurt the person they’re punching? That just seems implausible in most circumstances. It also seems to be inconsistent with your evaluation that doing so makes you an a-hole. Surely if someone hits someone else but doesn’t intend to hurt them, that’s just an accident and wouldn’t necessarily make them an a-hole, right?
Per the OP there was no behavioral motivation or goal. Wouldn't that include an intrinsic reward from causing suffering/pain?

I agree, that this sounds implausible, but until OP chimes back in to answer the questions some of us have posed, it's all we have to go on.

I'm not going to get into a debate about the definition of cruelty, but I hold the standard to meet that criterion as more than just indifferent physical contact causing pain. Otherwise, there's literally no difference between that and the two criteria before that, as either one (initiating physical fights, using a weapon to cause physical harm) would automatically mean they'd meet criteria of cruelty towards humans and those criteria would be redundant.

You've never met people who "just need to punch something" without direct intent to harm and don't really care to differentiate between a human or a wall? I don't consider them punching someone at a bar (or anywhere) because their impulse control sucks to be a form of cruelty, but oftentimes those people are just kind of a-holes. This really just comes back to 'conduct disorder is a stupidly broad diagnosis that doesn't really mean much in this or any situation'. I'm sure that OP's patient would meet "full criteria" if they gave more details, but it's still irrelevant IMO.

My summary of OP's question is kid lacks empathy towards humans and doesn't mind physical altercations but appears to have empathy towards animals. Do we think he's a budding ASPD guy or even a psycho/sociopath? My response is: Idk, need more info to give a valid thought and why have we ruled out all the other things that could be going on? I've met plenty of kids who appeared to be totally apathetic towards other humans but loved animals who absolutely should not be diagnosed with conduct disorder. With the limited info given, why is this kid any different?