Interesting dental article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this interesting article about a new technology in dentistry from BBC. Im curious on your guys/gals thoughts about all this.

-Technology which could change the face of dentistry across the world has been developed at Queen's University in Belfast.

The technology - which is now under-going detailed tests on patients - could mean the end of drilling, filling and injections for some people.

One dentist has described the new device as "almost too good to be true."
Most of the research is on primary decay

However, it has now been passed as being safe to use on patients.

It involves putting a plastic cap on a tooth and squirting ozone at the bacteria which are causing the tooth to decay - stopping them in their tracks.

There is even evidence that the decay can be reversed, as the tooth begins to re-mineralise and harden.

Most of the research is on primary decay - the first hole in a tooth which is obviously most common among the younger age groups.

Fillings and injections

However, dentists' drills will not become obsolete.

Existing fillings will still need repaired and replaced.

Dentists' chairs may be emptier

In addition, the ozone does not work on decay between teeth - only when it is exposed on the biting surface or side of the tooth.

But for large numbers of patients this technology could mean no drilling, fillings or injections.

About 100 dental practices across the UK - including some in Northern Ireland - are now trying out the device on patients.

They will feed what happens back to the researchers.

BBC NI's Dot Kirby:
"There is even evidence that the decay can be reversed"

BBC NI's Dot Kirby:
"Over time the tooth will harden"

Members don't see this ad.

Ozone is the future, its being used a lot in Europe.

PharmDr. said:
In addition, the ozone does not work on decay between teeth - only when it is exposed on the biting surface or side of the tooth.

Umm...Isn't this what fluoride and sealants accomplish? Obviously these have worked very well for us in the last few decades, but they certainly haven't done away with the good old drill

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. There are tons of things we can use to kill and remove cariogenic bacteria -- toothbrushes, floss, listerine. Unless people are going to go get "ozonated" by their dentist every month, I don't see how this is anything really exciting. Lots of hype on this, though.

knowing how well the general public view amalgam and fluoride, ozone?
are we talking about a hole in the atmosphere and make a hole in patient's mouth?
tx sounds good, but it would be tough to sell

I dont see how our chairs will be emptier. If anything this would bring in new business.

If there are side effects of any sort, then a dentist is the one that will happen to give the treatment to the patient. If this is the case (which I believe it is) business could possibly soar for dentists