Interesting facts - related to veterinary med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Or twinge of dread in every cat owner's heart when they hear the distinctive "ech...ech....ech..ech" noise from somewhere in the house.
my cats have gotten into the habit of making a horrible meow before starting the horking process. it's quite unpleasant

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
my cats have gotten into the habit of making a horrible meow before starting the horking process. it's quite unpleasant
My cat is suspiciously quiet when he pukes, so I have had the pleasant experience of waking up and stepping in cat vomit as my first experience of the day on several occasions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can make a sheep fall asleep by pumping anesthetic gas into the rumen due to eructation - the majority of eructated gas is breathed in. If you put in a tracheal cannula, they won't.

Bots in horses can be one of two species - Gasterophilus intestinalis, which is found in the stomach and NOT the intestine, and Gasterophilus nasalis, which is NOT found in the nose but IS found in the intestine.

A few days after a severe brain injury, the heart will develop degenerative lesions as well - the so called cardiogenic neuropathy or brain-heart syndrome.

Most of you probably know about right dorsal colitis in horses given NSAIDS. Foals, however, develop lesions in the stomach and intestines - supposedly due to differences in prostaglandin production with age.

Reactions: 6 users
I do. It's because cats are dicks.
tenor.gif

One of my grandma's cats does this!

Cows have really weird kidneys.
19-4.png

Reactions: 2 users
Yes they are! C'mon, join in! Cat blood typing, bird malaria, how horses have weird urine...

I didn't say they weren't cool... just not as cool.
Since Zen brought it up...Cats are the only (common/domestic) animal with preformed antibodies to other blood antigen groups. Which makes no sense from a biologic stand point because why would your body have formed an antibody to something they've never been exposed to? Anyway cats have three blood groups. A, B, and AB. Cats with type B blood have strong anti-A antibodies and will often die (or at least have a huge, big reaction) if given the wrong type of blood. Cats with type A blood have weaker antibodies and can survive the wrong type with greater frequency. The vast majority of cats are type A, but type B cats tend to be overrepresented in purebred breeds like the british shorthair, cornish rex, and devon rex.

There's also a newly recognized feline blood group currently called Mik. Cats that should have been compatible for crossmatching were coming up incompatible, and then this new group was found. It's called Mik because the original cat it was found in was named Mike.

Cats also have rod-shaped eosinophil granules. Most species have round ones.

Reactions: 8 users
Since Zen brought it up...Cats are the only (common/domestic) animal with preformed antibodies to other blood antigen groups. Which makes no sense from a biologic stand point because why would your body have formed an antibody to something they've never been exposed to? Anyway cats have three blood groups. A, B, and AB. Cats with type B blood have strong anti-A antibodies and will often die (or at least have a huge, big reaction) if given the wrong type of blood. Cats with type A blood have weaker antibodies and can survive the wrong type with greater frequency. The vast majority of cats are type A, but type B cats tend to be overrepresented in purebred breeds like the british shorthair, cornish rex, and devon rex.
Just learned this in class! Apparently type B is also more prevalent in certain geographic areas like Australia. Had no idea about the Mik.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just learned this in class! Apparently type B is also more prevalent in certain geographic areas like Australia. Had no idea about the Mik.
Mik is more of a clin path boards type tidbit for now since it's so rare. I wasn't taught it in school. And by 'newly discovered' I mean it was described in JVIM in 2007, so not all that new, just not common knowledge.

You can sometimes tell the gender of the pet by only looking at its blood. The inactivated X chromosome of females is often visible with light microscopy. It's called a Barr body. (You might not see them in every animal but if you do see them it's probably a female).

42479-14ACF358DEE7F9F876E.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
You can tell whether a skin biopsy is from a cat or dog just by looking at the vacuolar patterns in the sebaceous glands. You can additionally tell if it is from a horse, cow, or pig by also looking at the hair follicle structure and the apocrine gland location.
See, path peeps be tearin' it up. :highfive:

Reactions: 4 users
Very rarely can a "cold" be transmitted from animal to human or vice versa. Two words; Mycoplasma pneumoniae.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Mik is more of a clin path boards type tidbit for now since it's so rare. I wasn't taught it in school. And by 'newly discovered' I mean it was described in JVIM in 2007, so not all that new, just not common knowledge.
This made me laugh because we learned about Mik in my immunology class last semester but then I remembered that our professor is a clinical pathologist :laugh:

You can sometimes tell the gender of the pet by only looking at its blood. The inactivated X chromosome of females is often visible with light microscopy. It's called a Barr body. (You might not see them in every animal but if you do see them it's probably a female).

42479-14ACF358DEE7F9F876E.jpg
Why haven't we been taught this? This is a cool fact. How reliable would you say it is?

Why haven't we been taught this? This is a cool fact. How reliable would you say it is?

To be honest it isn't something I look for specifically....just something I acknowledge in my mind when I do see it. It's more of a fun fact to tell students and impress them and house officers who rotate with us. If someone were worried that two tubes of blood got confused and one was a male patient and one was a female patient, I'd look for Barr bodies to tell them apart. We'd still make them go redraw the patients to be sure results are correct but I'd consider it. 'False positives' can happen (and have happened to me once) because other pieces of chromatin can fragment off and look similar. Plus animals like male calicos with xxy genes will have an inactivated x and still be male but that's basically one in a million.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So much nerd in this thread.

It's pretty great.

Reactions: 8 users
Mine does that too. It sounds like he's dying. He's very dramatic

Reactions: 6 users
It wasn't published or anything. But I can see if I can get the old computer to live and pm it to you. No guarantees though; the old computer hates coming out of retirement. You an search for Dr. Mealy (Meely? I can't remember the spelling) from washington to get the original primary sources.
Ok thank you!

Misnomer. They have one stomach. So do cows.

Which makes it even more interesting, because now you can correct people who try to wow you by telling you cows have four stomachs (or camelids have three).

Oops.

You said ostrich and I read camelid in my head.

I wouldn't have the faintest clue about ostriches. Birds are cray cray.

Reactions: 2 users
Oops.

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if ostriches did have three stomachs and each one was a portal to hell. That just seems like a bird kind of thing to do.

Reactions: 12 users
Oops.

Wait a minute ... ostriches have 3 stomachs.

Nope, not referring to a camelid. I wonder why you thought an ostrich meant a camelid. A-ha! It's the curse of the WW game! :eek:

I like this thread a lot. I have a story our repro teacher has told us. He's told a lot but this is my most memorable. Even though I've heard a lot of his stories twice now that I'm his ta. I'll type it up tomorrow in after behavior

Eh, the whole multiple stomachs thing isn't really correct for any species. There is still always one true glandular stomach - the rest are different compartments (e.g. the cow has four stomach compartments, but only one true glandular stomach - the abomasum). Although that's the anatomists' obsession with semantics, to be fair.

Reactions: 4 users
According to the Purdue Food Animal Education Network:

A cow produces 350,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime.

Thank you very much to diary cows everywhere!

View attachment 216969

I love to tell people that we've basically bred dairy cows to be metabolic train wrecks that physically cannot consume enough calories to keep up with their energy expenditure early in lactation. Bad for the cow, but super interesting from a research perspective.:D

Oops.

Wait a minute ... ostriches have 3 stomachs.

Nope, not referring to a camelid. I wonder why you thought an ostrich meant a camelid. A-ha! It's the curse of the WW game! :eek:
Interestingly, I think ostriches are also known as "camel birds" (those long necks and eyelashes). Scientific name is Struthio camelus :prof: Thank you Zoobooks

Today I was studying and learned that horse urine can turn red or brown when exposed to snow because of something called pyrocatechin. So if an owner complains of pigmenturia in a horse when there is snow out, ask if they actually saw the horse urinate or if they just found red spots on the snow.

Reactions: 7 users
Today I was studying and learned that horse urine can turn red or brown when exposed to snow because of something called pyrocatechin. So if an owner complains of pigmenturia in a horse when there is snow out, ask if they actually saw the horse urinate or if they just found red spots on the snow.
Used to freak me out. I was always afraid they weren't drinking enough or something. To be fair, the waterers did try to freeze up at least 3 times per winter.