Interesting/ Kinda funny LOR ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NE_Cornhusker1

12" Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm good with my science LORs. (They have been written by profs. who know and like me) but the non-science letter I have to submit to some schools is sketchy.

The only non-science class I have taken at UNL in the past two years in Substance Abuse. I did well in the class (A+) and I have worked with the teacher for two years so I know the guy well but I just can't see a medical school being impressed with my prowess in Substance Abuse; "NE_Cornhusker1 was an outstanding student in my Substance Abuse class earning an A+."

I know he would write a good letter of rec. but whatta' y'all think? Peace.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is good. They already have science LORs from you, so you're covered there.

Did he also include info about how you've worked with him?

In terms of the issue "substance abuse," it is something that you will encounter repeatedly as a physician. I think the fact that you took a course in the subject matter is a highly relevant medical topic. If you think that he will be your best non-science reference, you should definitely use him.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're worried that the course isn't all that demanding, I wouldn't worry - I doubt med schools know. Plus, it's a great topic for pre-meds.

By the way, one of my letter writers taught my "Drugs in Society" class, which I assume is like yours - but then again, I did basically test out of that class and ended up doing an independent project for her.

Originally posted by NE_Cornhusker1
Ok, I'm good with my science LORs. (They have been written by profs. who know and like me) but the non-science letter I have to submit to some schools is sketchy.

The only non-science class I have taken at UNL in the past two years in Substance Abuse. I did well in the class (A+) and I have worked with the teacher for two years so I know the guy well but I just can't see a medical school being impressed with my prowess in Substance Abuse; "NE_Cornhusker1 was an outstanding student in my Substance Abuse class earning an A+."

I know he would write a good letter of rec. but whatta' y'all think? Peace.

Actual quote from the LOR (re: substance abuse):
"Yep, we used to get frickin' drunk in that class all the time. This one day I bought in a blunt; Cornhusker is the coolest stoner I have ever met. So, yeah, you should go ahead and let him into med school. That would be greaaaat... BTW, I'm wasted right now. I hope that doesn't reflect poorly on my letter."

-RA

great..now I'm afraid of what some of my letters say. I used to do cannabinoid (think: marijuana) research..."Mr Adcadet should totally go to your, like school man. His "research" has been really great and like, scientific and stuff"

(why do stoners in my world sound like valley girls?)

Originally posted by Adcadet
great..now I'm afraid of what some of my letters say. I used to do cannabinoid (think: marijuana) research..."Mr Adcadet should totally go to your, like school man. His "research" has been really great and like, scientific and stuff"

(why do stoners in my world sound like valley girls?)

Hehe...I'll have to remember that. I'm thinking of working in a lab doing THC studies with primates... I'd imagine several people would ask me to bring some of the "research materials" home... :)

-RA