Interesting match results for 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO it right

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this result is for the allo match program (PGY-1):

% of allo students matching: 92.9
% of canadian students matching: 73.6
% of U.S. physicians matching: 42.3
% of osteopath students matching: 70.4
% of 5th pathway physicians matching: 59.6
% of U.S. foreign graduates matching: 55.4

I'm not sure if these stats do or donot include those who matched outside the process. but I just thought it was interesting enough to share.

Link

by the way...notice how they don't refer to the D.O. students as "U.S. graduates"...but who cares..we got our own match that doesn't even consider allo's :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info... it's amazing how osteopathic physicians applying to allopathic residencies rises each year ... almost doubled since 1998.

That has to do with more DO graduates and not so great AOA residencies.

If by the time I finished my degree the AOA doesn't have its act in order, I will go with AMA residency. But they still have 5 years.. hehehe.

"notice how they don't refer to the D.O. students as "U.S. graduates""
They don't refer to ALLO as US graduates either... that is okay.
Plus it is assumed. DO's in the US is the only degree allowed to do AMA training.

I was looking at this site, by chance this morning... and I did not understand... does matching mean been offered a place but they turned it down.. or not offered a place at all. Can it be that DO students decided to go with AOA res instead. I guess it most likely means not offered a place. PGY2 data also interesting. Did I understand it right... no PGY2 IM matching. So does that mean one would have to go back to PGY1 IM after a AOA PGY1 recidency. Okay I am hearting my brain here.

Members don't see this ad :)
While the 70.4% matching seems low, keep this in mind

You can apply to both ACGME and AOA residency. If you match into an AOA residency, your name get pulled from the ACGME list. So on paper, you applied to ACGME but you never matched ACGME (because you were pulled from the list before the match).

So how many of the 29.6% of osteopathic students who didn't match into ACGME due to AOA residency matching, and how many truly didn't match into any program? Now that's the real question =)

I would also say that the number probably does not include those who signed outside of the match.

I signed with my (allopathic) program outside of the match, and on match day, I was considered unmatched via withdrawal from the match.

Could I use the word match a little more????

group_theory said:
While the 70.4% matching seems low, keep this in mind

You can apply to both ACGME and AOA residency. If you match into an AOA residency, your name get pulled from the ACGME list. So on paper, you applied to ACGME but you never matched ACGME (because you were pulled from the list before the match).

So how many of the 29.6% of osteopathic students who didn't match into ACGME due to AOA residency matching, and how many truly didn't match into any program? Now that's the real question =)
It seems as though they took that into account. They have a category for withdrawals and for those that signed up for the match but did not rank any programs. That doesn't look good for us osteos :(

More the reason for schools to start implementing USMLEs and joing ACGME residencies. I guess this thread should be in the Osteo section and not the pre-osteo.