Interesting reading/learning resources pertaining to biology/medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camelsarecool

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am taking two gap years and was looking for some interesting reading pertinent to medicine/biology. I've read a lot of Atul Gawande's books and really enjoyed them. I am looking for something like that or perhaps something a little bit more science-oriented.

I initially thought USMLE resources might be a good source to learn more science-related things but people got super flamed and apparently that is a terrible idea.

What are you guys reading??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Use the search fxn

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You can't review what you don't know yet.

Don't pre-study. Especially don't pre-boards-study.
I didn't really mean pre-study. I guess my primary goal is just to learn some interesting biology-related things because I am missing school. I guess I should buy some other books!

Studying for USMLE? That's the best you can do? I think you are way behind as far as I know. I'm already studying for my neurosurgery and plastics board exams. I have 100% confidence that I will be double boarded, so why not get ahead of the competition? OP, let me know when your ready to step up your game, and I can share some tips.
No need to be a jerk. I am not looking to pre-study. Was more curious if this would be interesting in any capacity.

I am just missing school and looking for resources to read leisurely and learn simulataneously

Last edited:
Siddhartha Muhkerjee came out with a new book about the history of genetics and genomics, Gene. If it's done as well as Emperor of All Maladies, then it is worth reading. It's on my list. Probably will get to it in 5 years or so at this rate lol

Reactions: 1 users
Siddhartha Muhkerjee came out with a new book about the history of genetics and genomics, Gene. If it's done as well as Emperor of All Maladies, then it is worth reading. It's on my list. Probably will get to it in 5 years or so at this rate lol
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I hadn't heard of this guy. I'll check him out ASAP