Interesting reading/learning resources pertaining to biology/medicine

Camelsarecool

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2016
Hey guys! I am taking two gap years and was looking for some interesting reading pertinent to medicine/biology. I've read a lot of Atul Gawande's books and really enjoyed them. I am looking for something like that or perhaps something a little bit more science-oriented.

I initially thought USMLE resources might be a good source to learn more science-related things but people got super flamed and apparently that is a terrible idea.

What are you guys reading??

Last edited:

eteshoe

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2016
Tethys, Saturn
Status
MD/PhD Student
Use the search fxn

Reactions: Crayola227
OP
Camelsarecool

Camelsarecool

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2016
You can't review what you don't know yet.

Don't pre-study. Especially don't pre-boards-study.
I didn't really mean pre-study. I guess my primary goal is just to learn some interesting biology-related things because I am missing school. I guess I should buy some other books!

OP
Camelsarecool

Camelsarecool

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2016
Studying for USMLE? That's the best you can do? I think you are way behind as far as I know. I'm already studying for my neurosurgery and plastics board exams. I have 100% confidence that I will be double boarded, so why not get ahead of the competition? OP, let me know when your ready to step up your game, and I can share some tips.
No need to be a jerk. I am not looking to pre-study. Was more curious if this would be interesting in any capacity.

I am just missing school and looking for resources to read leisurely and learn simulataneously

alpha-GTP

Where's my 5' UTR?
Jun 16, 2016
Some membrane somewhere
Status
Pre-Medical

Last edited:

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
Siddhartha Muhkerjee came out with a new book about the history of genetics and genomics, Gene. If it's done as well as Emperor of All Maladies, then it is worth reading. It's on my list. Probably will get to it in 5 years or so at this rate lol

OP
Camelsarecool

Camelsarecool

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2016
Siddhartha Muhkerjee came out with a new book about the history of genetics and genomics, Gene. If it's done as well as Emperor of All Maladies, then it is worth reading. It's on my list. Probably will get to it in 5 years or so at this rate lol
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I hadn't heard of this guy. I'll check him out ASAP