Interesting Review Baylor Rads- Houston

Started by exPCM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

exPCM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From scutwork.com
http://www.scutwork.com/cgi-bin/links/review.cgi?ID=2884&d=1

"Schedule

I did a 4th year away rotation at this program and interviewed here. Days are quite busy at the public hospital, Ben Taub. Average day would be around 7am-5:30pm. Interventional gets started earlier and may continue through 7 pm. I would count on 60 hour weeks including call.

Teaching

Faculty are knowledgeable but did not seem to be very keen on teaching. Residents are given lots of autonomy but there is a significant weakness in organized didactics. Attendance at conference is quite low.

Atmosphere

Residents seem nice. Many FMGs. Mostly male residents. Equipment in at the primary teaching hospital is extremely outdated. Residents are swamped with work and have little time for outside reading. This is a big negative.

Conclusion

Be wary about Baylor Houston. The program is primarily riding on the reputation of its top 20 medical school. The majority of time is spent in the public hospital where residents are swamped with work and private hospital rotations are weak. The environment is very political and the PD plays favorites with residents. I have a couple friends in the program who feel that there is little time for outside reading, organized didactics are notably weak, and they are extremely over worked. PD is partial to grads from Puerto Rico (2 slots are automatically allotted to them). I got a very bad feeling on interview day and ranked this program at the bottom of my list. I feel that there are very few redeeming factors about this program other than the name. Make sure you do your research before deciding where you want to spend the next five years of your life! "
Here is their website: http://www.bcm.edu/radiology/?PMID=7020

My comment: Interesting how this program takes multiple IMGs at a time when many qualified US grads can not get spots in radiology. This is your tax dollars (Medicare GME funding) at work. I have read posters on this site who think that as US med schools ramp up enrollment that IMGs will be squeezed out of residency spots. This program illustrates that this is not necessarily true. The PDs still have a lot of autonomy regarding resident selection. Do you think a program director from X should be allowed to give preference to graduates from X (fill in the X for yourself)?
Look at all the MBBS degrees in the Radiology Class 0f 2011 here: http://www.uams.edu/radiology/education/residency/diagnostic/current_faces.asp - I guess there must have been few qualified US grads applying that year.
 
Last edited:
That review was essentially verbatim from a post on AM - someone's got a grudge against BCM. 🙄

Being an AMG I can't say that I'm happy to hear (if true) that some programs reserve spots for FMGs, but then again I don't think they should be subjected to higher standards than AMGs (although they usually are).

I think what it boils down to is that less competitive AMGs will find competition with FMGs (who often have great apps despite being an FMG) while more competitive AMGs will still have a relatively easy time finding a position at more "desirable" programs.

Re: UArkansas "diversity" - maybe AMGs don't want to go to Arkansas 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From scutwork.com
http://www.scutwork.com/cgi-bin/links/review.cgi?ID=2884&d=1

"Schedule

I did a 4th year away rotation at this program and interviewed here. Days are quite busy at the public hospital, Ben Taub. Average day would be around 7am-5:30pm. Interventional gets started earlier and may continue through 7 pm. I would count on 60 hour weeks including call.

Teaching

Faculty are knowledgeable but did not seem to be very keen on teaching. Residents are given lots of autonomy but there is a significant weakness in organized didactics. Attendance at conference is quite low.

Atmosphere

Residents seem nice. Many FMGs. Mostly male residents. Equipment in at the primary teaching hospital is extremely outdated. Residents are swamped with work and have little time for outside reading. This is a big negative.

Conclusion

Be wary about Baylor Houston. The program is primarily riding on the reputation of its top 20 medical school. The majority of time is spent in the public hospital where residents are swamped with work and private hospital rotations are weak. The environment is very political and the PD plays favorites with residents. I have a couple friends in the program who feel that there is little time for outside reading, organized didactics are notably weak, and they are extremely over worked. PD is partial to grads from Puerto Rico (2 slots are automatically allotted to them). I got a very bad feeling on interview day and ranked this program at the bottom of my list. I feel that there are very few redeeming factors about this program other than the name. Make sure you do your research before deciding where you want to spend the next five years of your life! "
Here is their website: http://www.bcm.edu/radiology/?PMID=7020

My comment: Interesting how this program takes multiple IMGs at a time when many qualified US grads can not get spots in radiology. This is your tax dollars (Medicare GME funding) at work. I have read posters on this site who think that as US med schools ramp up enrollment that IMGs will be squeezed out of residency spots. This program illustrates that this is not necessarily true. The PDs still have a lot of autonomy regarding resident selection. Do you think a program director from X should be allowed to give preference to graduates from X (fill in the X for yourself)?
Look at all the MBBS degrees in the Radiology Class 0f 2011 here: http://www.uams.edu/radiology/education/residency/diagnostic/current_faces.asp - I guess there must have been few qualified US grads applying that year.

Who said Puerto Rico was a foreign medical school. It is a fully accredited American Medical school.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/participatingschools.htm