interfolio sending LOR's to a family member

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YourMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone sent a confidential LOR from interfolio to a family member or a counselor to verify that you were represented well in the document? Can schools see who the letters were sent to?

Members don't see this ad.

Strong ethics in this thread.

Reactions: 1 users
The point of a confidential letter is that the school you're sending it to can trust that you don't know the contents and can't filter the letters based on what's in them.

If you're truly worried about how a letter writer may have represented you, you should probably look for someone else to write the letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I figured it was standard practice to send LOR'S to a counselor for screening. This would still maintain confidentiality.

you should probably look for someone else to write the letter.
5ce12.jpg

Any time you ask someone for a letter, blatantly ask them for a STRONG letter of reference. It's way better to just get that out of the way in the beginning. The worst that can happen is that they so no, you're a bit embarrassed, and then you don't get rejected from med school for a seemingly unknown reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys! I did ask if they felt comfortable writing a strong LOR. I am also pretty sure they represented me well. The application cycle means so much to me I want everything to be absolutely perfect so, I got a little curious. I've decided to leave things be. I won't attempt to find out what was written. Thanks again!

I think everyone else went over the obvious ethical issues regarding sending them to a family member and such. So I will not beat that to death. One thing though is if you school has a health professions office that handles your letters of recommendation. Typically you start a file with them and gather numerous letters and they read them and send our your best ones. This maintains all confidentiality but allows you to feel more at ease. Obviously as others have said, you want to focus on people that will write that awesome letter of recommendation and worry less about just getting alot of them. Quality is very key as schools get many subpar letters each year. You really want to focus on standing out or at the very least keep your letters from weighing you down.

I do understand smaller schools may not have an office that does this though. As it is also useful in some cases to get a committee letter from them too.

Reactions: 1 user
Interfolio will know if its being sent to the wrong receivers and will report it.

There are services out there that will read your letter, rank it for its strength and tell you not to use it if it's below a certain rating, which usually happens only is negative things are said.

There are services out there that will read your letter, rank it for its strength and tell you not to use it if it's below a certain rating, which usually happens only is negative things are said.

Name of said services?