Intergrated Program Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aamartin81

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I've run across bits and pieces to this answer in various threads, but does anyone have opinions as to the relative rankings of the intergrated plastics programs? I've read that Baylor has a great reputation while more prestigious schools as Hopkins and Harvard may not live up to the hype. Any help will be appreciated!

Adam

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind who your answers will be coming from and that rankings such as can be found here are 100% useless. Neither future patients nor future employers will give a damn about what anyone here calls the best programs as each individual has their own list.

jdubya said:
Keep in mind who your answers will be coming from and that rankings such as can be found here are 100% useless. Neither future patients nor future employers will give a damn about what anyone here calls the best programs as each individual has their own list.

Thank you for the advice. I guess I should rephrase my question into this:

Which integrated plastics programs were most attractive to you (and why if you have a minute to explain)?

Adam

Members don't see this ad :)
My question is about the integrated programs alone. Thank you for your input.

Adam

aamartin81 said:
Which integrated plastics programs were most attractive to you (and why if you have a minute to explain)?

Answer: the ones that invited me for an interview.

In all seriousness, I think your question can be better answered in a month or two when we're all done with interviewing and can reflect on what was appealing about certain programs and which ones left much to be desired. You can probably gather from reading this board that people are attracted to different programs for sundry reasons, ranging from geography to reputation to size and so on. Are you asking because you're trying to figure out where you want to do a visiting sub-I/elective?

mcindoe said:
Are you asking because you're trying to figure out where you want to do a visiting sub-I/elective?

You hit the nail on the head. I'd like to do an away rotation, but would like to get others' feedback from which programs they enjoyed and why. Your answer seems quite logical that I should probably have waited a little while longer, until the process was over, to post my question (not to mention that the rankings part in seemingly irrelevant, as it is a subjective feeling). Thank you for your perspective.

Adam

hey--

i just read your public profile, and it seems you have a great deal of time before your away rotations. just focus on medical school, and do the best you can. worrying about the future will only hamper you progress, take it from someone who made the same mistake.

Hi, my name is Gaurav and I am an MSIII interested in Plastics. My question is whether or not you have a listing of the available integrated programs, and how to obtain a list of possible combined programs. Hope you can help.

Jammer said:
Just to clarify, out of approximately 50 programs that take medical students directly into plastic surgery training programs, only about 21 are true 'integrated' programs, meaning that from day one, you're a plastic surgery resident and, ultimately, answer to your plastic surgery program director. The rest are 'coordinated' programs, meaning that after the completion of your three years under general surgery, you then continue on into the plastic surgery program (i.e., you don't have to reapply).

Integrated programs include: UTSW, UMich, UPitts, UWisc, Baylor, Stanford, Loma Linda, SIU, UTMB, UVirginia, and others.

So is your question about the best integrated programs or the best of both integrated and coordinated?

my advice on the whole 'rank' thing...

it does not matter.

go for location...you'll be happier living in a place you enjoy. ultimately, you'll look for a job in the area you train in...so pick a place you like (like Seattle!) and try to get a spot there.

i used location as the second discriminator to pick where i did my surgery training (UW)...the first was 'academic' vs. 'community program'....

pretty simple.

Seattle
San Antonio
San Diego
Davis (Sacromento)
SF
Boston
Denver

All cool cities....you'd be lucky to live in any one of them.

navysurgeon said:
All cool cities....you'd be lucky to live in any one of them.

Thanks for the help!

Adam