MS1 interested in plastics but no home program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sorrygoogle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am currently a M1 and interested in plastics. My institution only has 1 board certified plastic surgeon (no program) who does not do much research–if any at all. ENT at my school is huge and is in charge of almost all facial plastics and other plastic related surgeries. I know I'm thinking about this a little early, but I'm concerned about specialty specific research and not having a mentor for residency applications.

Do you think I should reach out to the plastic surgeon and try to do research with him, even if he hasn't published anything in the last 10 years?
Or do research in facial plastics with ENT (who publish frequently) even though they aren't board certified plastic surgeons. Basically–does ENT facial plastics research = plastic surgery research?

I have no mentors/advisors who know much about plastics, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would work with the ENT who published frequently. ENT facial plastics research doesn’t exactly equal plastic surgery research, but it would be way better to get several publications with the ENT than try to get publications with the plastic surgeon who doesn’t publish. I would also try and see if the ENT knows any plastic surgeons that do research and look at doing a research year in plastics if you need more pubs.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I am currently a M1 and interested in plastics. My institution only has 1 board certified plastic surgeon (no program) who does not do much research–if any at all. ENT at my school is huge and is in charge of almost all facial plastics and other plastic related surgeries. I know I'm thinking about this a little early, but I'm concerned about specialty specific research and not having a mentor for residency applications.

Do you think I should reach out to the plastic surgeon and try to do research with him, even if he hasn't published anything in the last 10 years?
Or do research in facial plastics with ENT (who publish frequently) even though they aren't board certified plastic surgeons. Basically–does ENT facial plastics research = plastic surgery research?

I have no mentors/advisors who know much about plastics, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Hi @Sorrygoogle, I’m an M3 at a school that similarly has no home program, a small department, and limited research opportunities.

What I’ve been told by my classmates (who went on to successfully match in PRS) is that research is important but doesn’t all have to be in plastics. My understanding is that programs like to see that you can be productive and take initiative, and that projects in another area of medicine (like ENT) can help you with that.

As for mentorship- it seems like plastics residencies understand that having no home program is limiting for applicants and there are a couple of new programs from some of the UC schools aimed at providing mentorship and experience to these students. This is a good one (ASPS Mentorship Program closed for this year but should open again next fall). Following plastics groups on social media is a great way to find more opportunities like this (ACAPS, ASPS, etc). The ASPS Roadmaps page (Medical Student to Plastic Surgery Resident) is also a great way to find a mentor (check the regional ambassador list).

Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While I agree, research in any field is important and will show a commitment, however, if you're serious about plastics, you should seek out research opportunities in plastics. Not only will this be viewed as a positive on your residency app, you will have the opportunity to connect with plastic surgeons that may be highly regarded in the field, become a mentor and who will help you publish.

MS1 interested in plastics but no home program! I have a friend a plastic surgeon here with cosmetic experience, who perfectly prompts me and shares his experience!

Last edited: