Intern and Owner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vandalia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to barge in, but I wanted to see if this situation is as strange as it sounds. From a local news report:

A Barboursville, West Virginia pharmacy owner indicted on 40 counts of drug distribution and money laundering denied wrongdoing at his arraignment earlier this week in federal court.

Kofe Ohene Agyekum appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge Cheryl A. Eifert entered a "not guilty" plea to the indictment, returned Sept. 10 by a federal grand jury in Huntington, U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin said.

Agyekum is director and president of KAYPAT Medical Business, which does business as A+ Care Pharmacy in Barboursville and is employed there as a pharmacist intern, the government says.

http://www.statejournal.com/story/2...aling-money-laundering-at-federal-arraignment

It would seem to me that there is a definite "chain of command" issue here. The licensed pharmacist is supposed to supervise the pharmacy intern ....who has the right to fire the pharmacist... Has anyone ever heard of a situation like this?

(I have no connection with this place - I live two states away. I just happened to read this story in the paper while visiting my parents.)

-------------

According to another report, this operation is responsible for 328,000 "missing" oxycodone tablets.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I knew a pharmacist whose parents died while he was in pharmacy school. He took the life insurance money and bought the independent pharmacy where he worked. It's a rarity, but can happen.