Intern hours/pay? ...anybody know how this works @CVS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O.State

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Im an incoming Y1 intern but my pharmacy manager tells me that I will only be working intern hours part of the time (i.e. intern pay). The remainder of the time I will essentially be working as a tech (i.e. tech pay).

Is that how it is with all cvs stores? all chain stores?

Members don't see this ad.

typically the district will have a set amount of intern hour which don't come from the store's payroll, the other tech hours come from his tech hour budget, but your pay rate should be the same (intern rate) for all hours worked. I would check with the RxSup or intern liaison if this isn't the case

Reactions: 1 user
thanks. that makes me feel a lot better. hopefully that is the case with the rate, dont really care whos budget hours they come from lol.

havent contacted the intern liason yet cause Im waiting on my intern license (and the start of class of course), should probably reach out soon though. Especially since I hear there is an intern application process even though Im already an employee :rolleyes: smh

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see how they can pay you two different wages unless they demote you to a tech after you max your intern hours up.

Ask other interns, pharmacy supervisors love making up their own rules.

So Im an incoming Y1 intern but my pharmacy manager tells me that I will only be working intern hours part of the time (i.e. intern pay). The remainder of the time I will essentially be working as a tech (i.e. tech pay).

Is that how it is with all cvs stores? all chain stores?

There are only three possibilities:

• You misunderstood what he said
  • He is a *****
  • He is a crook
Once you are an intern you get paid your rate, period. Now, how many hours you get is another story. I think he is speaking about RVC hours. If so, I can explain it to you. If not, he is misinformed.

There are only three possibilities:

• You misunderstood what he said
  • He is a *****
  • He is a crook
Once you are an intern you get paid your rate, period. Now, how many hours you get is another story. I think he is speaking about RVC hours. If so, I can explain it to you. If not, he is misinformed.
Not sure if that what he means. But can you explain that anyway pls. :D Learning opportunity always welcome.

I hope hes not the third choice (nor the company), I guess I gotta watch my paystubs carefully @ the red.

Not sure if that what he means. But can you explain that anyway pls. :D Learning opportunity always welcome.

I hope hes not the third choice (nor the company), I guess I gotta watch my paystubs carefully @ the red.

You have to find out what he means and I can explain that. W/o that it's just conjecture.

As an intern at no point should you have to work as a tech for tech pay. This is not any CVS policy that I'v ever heard of. Like Old Timer said, either you misunderstood or the manger is trying to pull something to make his budget look good.

Now I do believe intern hours come from a separate budget than the techs so if this budget maxes out your hours may be limited/capped... but Old Timer probably would have a better explanation/understanding of this.

I recently got hired as an intern at CVS. My pharmacist spoke with the DM and we were told I always get paid as an intern. It has to do with how hours are budgeted. 5 of my hours are 'free' to the store (I still get paid, but do not come out of tech hours). You should always get the intern rate. I don't believe your hours are limited as after your 'intern' hours you are budgeted into tech hours.

5 of my hours are 'free' to the store (I still get paid, but do not come out of tech hours). You should always get the intern rate. I don't believe your hours are limited as after your 'intern' hours you are budgeted into tech hours.

Agree. Let me clarify:
District or Region has budget for intern only for some hours. In this case, 5 hours will be subtracted from budget of District or Region, not subtracted to budget of store.

After those hours subtracted from District or Region, if you work any more hours, your pay will come from store's budget for technician hours. You should still get paid dollars at Intern pay rate. The store's budget for technician hours will lose hours to you. These hours could be paid to pharmacy clerk, pharmacy technician, or pharmacy intern....you may see another nick name of this budget as budget for ANCILLARY HOURS.

If you work and pharmacy pays you from Ancillary budget, what might happen? The Pharmacy Manager may or may not be happy about this.

If I am Pharmacy Manager and my technicians do want to work extra hours, then I would not want to pay intern to get the job done at Intern pay rate.

If I am Pharmacy Manager and my technicians don't want to work extra hours, then I have to pay any worker, including intern to get the job done and in the end, I would still be happy.

In pharmacy budget, 2 factors are in mind: hours and dollars.
Technician hours is counted as budget hours. Over the budget hours for my technicians and my boss will see soon and I will have a talk next month.
Bonus is counted by dollars. Pharmacy profit goes up and manager's bonus will be somewhat linked to that along with many other factors.

I have seen many managers not caring about bonus since in their minds', Pharmacy Manager's salary is already sufficient. They just want to get the job done with least stress and have a good team.

Remember, we spend 8 hours working together in small place. Any other helpful comments, please share...

Peace.