Intern planning for GI

Started by GIlogy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GIlogy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have just started a PGY1 IM residency @ a program that unfortunately lacks in house GI fellowship.
Since GI is what I plan to do, could someone please guide me on how to build a strong CV? I am @ a avg sized program sans many research opportunities; and I know that research plays a big role in fellowship applications.

Thanks in advance.
 
Are there any other hospitals in the surrounding area with a GI fellowship? You may be able to get involved in research at a different institution. Also, do you have any GI surgeons, GI oncologists, or infectious disease physicians doing any research that you can get involved in? For instance, surgeons and oncologists may be doing some research on pancreatic malignancies or colon cancer, etc. An infectious disease doctor may be doing something related to hepatitis...
 
Good advice above. Does your hospital at least have a GI division? That should be your starting point. If you have an intern elective, do it with them. The research doesn't have to be earth shattering, just get your name on something thats DDW poster quality.