intern renumeration in Queensland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pitman

Grasshopper
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something I always wanted to know as an aspiring med student but didn't know who to ask...

The Queensland Health "Quarterly Public Hospitals Performance Report" recently came out and included some figures for intern/resident renumeration -- for example, average of AUD$78k for interns, which works out to 50 hours per week (the Aussie $1 is now about US$0.83). I'd imagine that other states in Oz aren't too different(?) The doc and a discussion can be found at the UQ med soc site:

http://uqms.org/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=76&func=view&catid=519&id=4505#4545

-pitman

Members don't see this ad.

Nice info...thanx a lot Pitman.

What year are you in now at UQ?!? Still enjoying the med school life down under?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a crazy salary.

I wonder if the pay rates will drop significantly once the 'tsunami' of medical students graduates in 4 years.

Pay rates seem to be going up....little known fact but you can actually get tax free money from the gov't depending on where you work.

There are basically 7 'zones'. zone 1 gets nothing, but 2 gets $5000, etc. until 7 get's about $20000 on top of your salary tax free.

It's a good way to pay off a debt if you want a good job with a bit of clinical experience before you return to North America.

What year are you in now at UQ?!? Still enjoying the med school life down under?

I'm in my final year, and I do love it in Oz. I always took the trip as a whole new experience kind of thing. New place, new connections, new love, new politics, new life in most ways. If I get an internship spot near Brisbane, I'll continue to make this home. Otherwise I'm Going West...to Perth.

Does anyone know where i can find the remuneration of other states for interns?
i'm in vic now and from what i know they get paid the least of all the states (about 50k)

AMSA has an intern info booklet which details pay rates, av working hours, elective rotations available etc for every hospital in Oz. Pretty sure you can download it from their website... and think its on the uqms.org site as well.

The pay difference sure does suck. I was so keen to go to melbourne next year but i just couldnt justify it, i have way too many debts.