intern/rez with family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grahmcracker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello anyone. I wondered how difficult the rotations are for a mom or dad going into family practice? Like...what happens when the kids get sick and you are working an 80-100 hr work week? Can they come to the Hosp and sleep in the waiting room (like when they have 101 temp and the school won't take them)?

What about the hubby/wife issues? For family practice is the rotation a stringent one that increases the divorce rate?

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by grahmcracker:
•Hello anyone. I wondered how difficult the rotations are for a mom or dad going into family practice? Like...what happens when the kids get sick and you are working an 80-100 hr work week? Can they come to the Hosp and sleep in the waiting room (like when they have 101 temp and the school won't take them)?

What about the hubby/wife issues? For family practice is the rotation a stringent one that increases the divorce rate?

Any advice?•

The issues regarding time off will vary from program to program but I would venture that in most, you will have to either a) find someone to cover for you while you stay home with the kids or b) pay someone to stay with the sick kids. It is no different than any other field except that they may well expect your spouse to be the one staying home with the kids rather than you. There are MANY people in all sorts of residencies with children and they somehow manage to work it out. But I've yet to see anyone bring their kiddies to work with them because they are sick and can't find a sitter for them.

FP tends to be one of the easier residencies with regard to hours, although at academic, university programs they do tend to be rougher than the traditionally more family friendly community programs. In addition, your hours may vary depending on the particular rotation - ie, some may not have weekend or much call and others will.

As for the divorce rate, its high for all medical specialties. I haven't seen any data to support this, but I would not be suprised if Surgery were among the higher of the medical specialties. This would be true for any of the hours-intensive fields (and ones that attract more arrogant types! ;) ). You cannot choose a specialty based on whether it will afford you a lower risk of getting divorced; that risk is dependent on you and your spouse and the degree to which you work hard at your relationship.

Thank you for the info. Your posts (here and elsewhere) have been very supportive. I hope go great with the Peds residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry. Let me amend that last statement. I hope things go better with your next rotation. I saw on another post about Peds being your worst.

•Sorry. Let me amend that last statement. I hope things go better with your next rotation. I saw on another post about Peds being your worst.•

Thanks...but you might want to recheck my signature. I don't have to do those rotations anymore! :D

Sorry for the mistake. I got confused from reading the "Residencies from Hell" forum (the one with 4 pages). On 6/27/01 at 11:44 you posted that you were about to start a Paed/Trauma shift for the fourth of July. I assumed you were doing some specialized residency training that required you to spend some time in this (Paed)area.

Yes, I can see that your signature says postgraduate year one. That can mean internship or residency right? I don't know which you are doing. Because I'm new, I don't understand the rules.

Thanks anyway for clarifying. You are doing a great job administrating. :D

•Sorry for the mistake. I got confused from reading the "Residencies from Hell" forum (the one with 4 pages). On 6/27/01 at 11:44 you posted that you were about to start a Paed/Trauma shift for the fourth of July. I assumed you were doing some specialized residency training that required you to spend some time in this (Paed)area.

Yes, I can see that your signature says postgraduate year one. That can mean internship or residency right? I don't know which you are doing. Because I'm new, I don't understand the rules.

Thanks anyway for clarifying. You are doing a great job administrating. :D

I'm a first year resident (PGY-1) which is also usually referred to as the intern. In general surgery we rotate through different specialties - I do Paeds Surg this month, SICU next, then CT, Vascular, General Surgery, Trauma, the VA, etc. Around and around for 5 years, eventually doing mostly General Surg.