Intern Year BOOKS!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingbug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked over the sticky post for recommended books for intern year, but I couldn't find a nice list.

Please help me spend my intern year book stipend....

Members don't see this ad.

I looked over the sticky post for recommended books for intern year, but I couldn't find a nice list.

You will have very little time to read textbooks.

Everything you could possibly need and much more is in that list. Assuming you have a couple hundred...buy the full Kaplan & Sadock two volume set, the Stahl books, and a large psychopharm text (the APA puts out a nice one, also on the list). That'll be a few hundred $$$.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything you could possibly need and much more is in that list. Assuming you have a couple hundred...buy the full Kaplan & Sadock two volume set, the Stahl books, and a large psychopharm text (the APA puts out a nice one, also on the list). That'll be a few hundred $$$.

I'm wondering how useful that will be at this point? Do those things go out of date every couple of years? I'd love to have great references like that, but dishing out a few hundred for something I'll need another of in a few years seems wasteful.

It's wasteful if it sits on your shelf and you don't read it. If you read at night like we're supposed to and you're learning, and it expands your knowledge base and ability to treat patients, it's not a waste.

Every resident should have their seminal specialty text on hand. Whether it's about reading up on a particular syndrome, diagnosis, or the like after the day's work, or using it for PRITE review or board specialty exam....

The K&S edition is relatively new, so it should last at least until the end of your residency.

Despite the constant screaming, we're also prescribing a lot of the same meds that we did 20 years ago. So a psychopharm text isn't a bad investment in my opinion either. In fact, it's those meds that really require a good understanding. You certainly don't want to be limited to SSRIs and atypicals. I'm not saying you need the large 2000 page psychopharm text, but a good psychopharm text is essential to have in some form.

Besides, the OP was referring to their book stipend, which certainly takes the sting out of the purchasing process.

Don't have a stipend but I gotta get that Kaplan 2008 book.... Argh!!! Must think!

I just looked up the comprehensive Kaplan and Sadock- 310 $ !!!!!!!

:eek:

It's wasteful if it sits on your shelf and you don't read it. If you read at night like we're supposed to and you're learning, and it expands your knowledge base and ability to treat patients, it's not a waste.

Every resident should have their seminal specialty text on hand. Whether it's about reading up on a particular syndrome, diagnosis, or the like after the day's work, or using it for PRITE review or board specialty exam....

The K&S edition is relatively new, so it should last at least until the end of your residency.

Despite the constant screaming, we're also prescribing a lot of the same meds that we did 20 years ago. So a psychopharm text isn't a bad investment in my opinion either. In fact, it's those meds that really require a good understanding. You certainly don't want to be limited to SSRIs and atypicals. I'm not saying you need the large 2000 page psychopharm text, but a good psychopharm text is essential to have in some form.

Besides, the OP was referring to their book stipend, which certainly takes the sting out of the purchasing process.

any ideas on where to find the apa pscyhopharm book or another good psychopharm book? (i tried googling "apa psychopharmacology text book" to no avail).

I'm in your shoes too. The books on my shelf that have been helpful include:

Manual of Clinical Psychopharmacology- Schatzberg et al
Essential Psychopharmacology: The Prescriber's Guide- Stahl
The Practical Art of Suicide Assessment- Shea
Mass. Gen. Hosp. Handbook of General Hospiatal Psychiatry- Stern et al
K & S Synopsis- 10th edition w/ the study guide to help reinforce
The 32nd edition of the Washington Manual

I'm just ordered the new Stahl- Essential Psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific Basis and Practical Applications and plan on purchasing the BIG K & S, Clinical Neurology of Psychiatrists- Kaufman, Psychodynamic Psychiatry in Clinical Practice- Gabbard, Manual of Psychiatric Care for the Medically Ill- Ambrosino,

good luck!

Before you go spending all of your stipend on K+S, be aware that two new comprehensive psychiatry texts are about to hit the shelves and are currently available at pre-publication prices and come with all sort of neat on-line bonuses:

Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry: Expert Consult: Online and Print
by Theodore A. Stern, Jerrold F. Rosenbaum, Maurizio Fava, Joseph Biederman, Scott Rauch

The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry
by Robert E. Hales, Stuart C. Yudofsky, Glen O. Gabbard

Faebinder.

The comprehensive version of K&S is available for free online at the UMDNJ library. Since you'll be a UMDNJ resident, you'll have free online access to it.

I have to throw in --

Clinical Assessment of Malingering and Deception. Ed. Rogers.

A great forensic psych book, that gives fantastic evidence based styles/diagnostic strategies for dissecting out everything from malingered psychosis (I see this so much in the ED) to minimizing (aka defensiveness) symptoms by those that want to avoid treatment. Good for any year, but I felt like it doubled my confidence in suicide/psychosis assessments.

Faebinder.

The comprehensive version of K&S is available for free online at the UMDNJ library. Since you'll be a UMDNJ resident, you'll have free online access to it.

Rock on! I was about to buy it! (I probably will, just money gets tight when moving across states). Low gas prices, here I come!:banana:

Is there anything out there like uptodate for psychiatry?

For general medicine books to carry around, totem-like, is Pocket Medicine enough? I have 2nd edition (blue), do you guys think the 3rd (red) was so much of a jump I should get it for my ward months?

For general medicine books to carry around, totem-like, is Pocket Medicine enough? I have 2nd edition (blue), do you guys think the 3rd (red) was so much of a jump I should get it for my ward months?

I thought red was worth it, if just for the cleaned up interface and the updates here and there. I mean, it's not like we'll have to buy the 4th edition, ya know? ;)

Before you go spending all of your stipend on K+S, be aware that two new comprehensive psychiatry texts are about to hit the shelves and are currently available at pre-publication prices and come with all sort of neat on-line bonuses:

Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry: Expert Consult: Online and Print
by Theodore A. Stern, Jerrold F. Rosenbaum, Maurizio Fava, Joseph Biederman, Scott Rauch

The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry
by Robert E. Hales, Stuart C. Yudofsky, Glen O. Gabbard

The MGH book is now available for pre-order discount at amazon.

I thought red was worth it, if just for the cleaned up interface and the updates here and there. I mean, it's not like we'll have to buy the 4th edition, ya know? ;)

Agree. Given the relatively low cost and the amount you'll end up using it, I think it is worth getting the newest edition. I use it all the time.