INTERNAL MEDICINE-PRIMARY CARE TRACT- ABIM certified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

.ashish.patel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I have matched in to Internal Medicine-Primary care. I had a question regarding board certification. Do I get the same ABIM certification after completion of residency?
Also,I have heard IM-PC residents match into outpatient endo/rheumatology fellowships, but how many percent actually can get into the fellowships?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, same board exam and certification. You can technically get into any fellowship. Obviously, if you are doing more outpatient focus it makes more sense to do outpatient fellowship, but there's no rule against you doing cardiology for example.

Your chances of getting into fellowship are going to depend on what quality program you go to, how good of a resident you are, letters of rec, research, connections in residency, whether you are an IMG/DO/US MD. And also what you want to do. ID doesn't fill, so if you have a pulse congrats you usually match. GI is murderously competitive, so unless you are at a place with a GI fellowships it's going to be hard to match.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, same board exam and certification. You can technically get into any fellowship. Obviously, if you are doing more outpatient focus it makes more sense to do outpatient fellowship, but there's no rule against you doing cardiology for example.

Your chances of getting into fellowship are going to depend on what quality program you go to, how good of a resident you are, letters of rec, research, connections in residency, whether you are an IMG/DO/US MD. And also what you want to do. ID doesn't fill, so if you have a pulse congrats you usually match. GI is murderously competitive, so unless you are at a place with a GI fellowships it's going to be hard to match.
@metopic Thank you so much for clearing my doubt.. :)