Internal medicine residency after family medicine residency..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiles312

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I need some very valuable input from all of you.Could you please let me know 1)if a person can do internal medicine residency after family medicine residency..
2)does the medicare not pay for a second residency as i have learnt in tidbits..
3)Do they give you credit if you do int med residency after fam medicine res? And if so for how many years..

Any suggestion or input would be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I need some very valuable input from all of you.Could you please let me know 1)if a person can do internal medicine residency after family medicine residency..
2)does the medicare not pay for a second residency as i have learnt in tidbits..
3)Do they give you credit if you do int med residency after fam medicine res? And if so for how many years..

Any suggestion or input would be very much appreciated!

A very similar topic was started recently. Look for it. It has some good info on the medicare stuff.

Yes a person can do IM after FM.

In terms of credit: I think it would be program specific. I know of one person who finished FM residency and they got to skip their intern year and that's it. I think at the program I am at, they would make you start from scratch. Some others may give you more credit... you'd have to ask.

why would one do this out of curiosity? I figure you want to do some speciality but would you not have realized this before finishing the entire FP program? just curious when this would come up?

why would one do this out of curiosity? I figure you want to do some speciality but would you not have realized this before finishing the entire FP program? just curious when this would come up?

There's a resident in my med school's program who returned to do IM after several years in FM practice in order to do cards (and to get away from the FM-associated hassles).