Internal Medicine Sub I exam, is it just the same as the one taken in 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paradise City

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm scheduled to take the "Advanced Clinical Science Subject Exam" for IM on Friday, I took and passed the one in 3rd year just fine, that was just a normal clinical science subject exam. What exactly is the difference? I have heard literally nothing about how to study for this one versus the other one. I'm in the middle of step studying so I've been covering hospital IM but is that just it?

Edit: Honored and I'm kinda stupid, you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Never heard of a SubI exam. Is this new?

Reactions: 1 user
I think OP is talking about the IM sub-internship exam that some programs give to visiting students at the end of their rotations?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think OP is talking about the IM sub-internship exam that some programs give to visiting students at the end of their rotations?
Yeah this, unfortunately, it's an NBME test and it's apparently more advanced clinically than the 3rd year version, but I have no clue at all what they expect.

I feel you. I have one at each of my sub-i rotation and it is not IM. Bring it on. Lol.

Where are you rotating that requires exams at the end? Wanna make sure I avoid those!

Reactions: 2 users
Most will not get a sub-i at the programs I rotated/am rotating to. The programs are extremely competitive (T10) and the exam is used with other factors to determine who gets an interview because it is not automatic.
I assume this is specifically for these institution's general medicine rotations and not their other services (cards, GI, etc). Was figuring I was done with exams heh