International based care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlleghenyPOD

1st Year MD-bound
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are others who are pre-podiatry students who are interested in going abroad to underdeveloped countries and working there for a good 1-2 years and provide much needed lower extremity care. I know that I personally want to do this in south east asia/pacific, probably in developing countries like the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia etc.

If theres anyone who knows anyone I can contact to get information in a program like this, can you provide us some information, please.

What are your views? Please share.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if there are others who are pre-podiatry students who are interested in going abroad to underdeveloped countries and working there for a good 1-2 years and provide much needed lower extremity care. I know that I personally want to do this in south east asia/pacific, probably in developing countries like the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia etc.

If theres anyone who knows anyone I can contact to get information in a program like this, can you provide us some information, please.

Join the Army, you'll get a scholarship and can go all over this planet to work on feet.

I was looking into that and reading about it, but isnt there another organization, preferably not a military one, where they employ podiatrists in sites around developing countries? Id like to evade getting killed..

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking into that and reading about it, but isnt there another organization, preferably not a military one, where they employ podiatrists in sites around developing countries? Id like to evade getting killed..

Doctors are killed everyday. I would dare to say it is probably safer to be in the Army than many other organizations. As for an international organization that hires pods, I don't know of one. Most international pods work is done as a volunteer mission. This is probably b/c there is no money to be made by these missions and an organization would need a lot of financial support, a lot.

i heard barry has a trip to mexico and in some cases students from other schools can attend. maybe dr feli can provide more info?

i heard barry has a trip to mexico (for a week or so) and in some cases students from other schools can attend. maybe dr feli can help out with this?

i heard barry has a trip to mexico (for a week or so) and in some cases students from other schools can attend. maybe dr feli can help out with this?

Many schools have missions, heck DMU even has a global health program. The issue I see is while you get the experience it may not be what you want.

As we have discussed previously DPM is a unique degree. Podiatry only exists is a few countries; heck, DOs really only exist is America. Most countries only have MDs. So you will be pushing the envelope if you want to get DPMs into doctors without borders, or to start your own international organization for DPMs. You could get lots of support and it could be very exciting, but it will be a lot of work.

Why would you wanna go to South Asia to serve the needy. There are many places in USA where there are poor people who need help.

Going for a trip for 1-2 months is different than going on a 1-2 yrs to a country like Indonesia or Malaysia. People from there are running in huge numbers and migrating to western countries and you want to go in middle of there:laugh: I'am myself from india and when i visit india. i get so bored that always i cut my trip short and come back to US. I wudnt go even for $10000000 for 1-2 yrs outside USA or western world. yeah going for a 1-2 month is a very plausible. But 1-2 yrs are too long.

Why would you wanna go to South Asia to serve the needy. There are many places in USA where there are poor people who need help.

Going for a trip for 1-2 months is different than going on a 1-2 yrs to a country like Indonesia or Malaysia. People from there are running in huge numbers and migrating to western countries and you want to go in middle of there:laugh: I'am myself from india and when i visit india. i get so bored that always i cut my trip short and come back to US. I wudnt go even for $10000000 for 1-2 yrs outside USA or western world. yeah going for a 1-2 month is a very plausible. But 1-2 yrs are too long.

it is admirable, you must admit. props for wanting to help out:thumbup: