International Clinical Volunteer Opportunities for Premeds/Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2003Applicant

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

These opportuniteis will likely be of interest to many people here.

African, Asian, Eastern European, and Latin American Country Opportunities - Short and Long Term Volunteer Opportunities

Unite For Sight volunteers prescribe eyeglasses, screen for eye disease and coordinate and fund diagnosis, treatment, and surgery by doctors. Volunteers also implement Train the Trainer programs for teachers and educate children and adults about eye health and ways to prevent blindness.

All persons over the age of 18 are welcome to apply for these volunteer opportunities, including prehealth students, medical students, public health professionals, ophthalmologists, optometrists, physicians, corporate professionals, nurses, graduate students, retired professionals, and any others with an interest in international service.

If you are interested in the volunteer opportunities listed below, please contact [email protected] and consult www.uniteforsight.org

Spring 2005

Africa
Buduburam Refugee Camp, Ghana: February 15 - May 15; May 10 - July 10; July 5 - August 15 (Dates Slightly Flexible)
Pobe, Benin: Flexible Dates for 3 weeks or more Between January 15 and May 15

India
Bihar, India: March 6 - March 16 (SPRING BREAK INTERNSHIP)
Hyderabad, India: March 1-30, 2005 (SPRING BREAK INTERNSHIP)

Thailand
Chiang Mai, Thailand: March 7-18 (optional extension to March 25)
(SPRING BREAK INTERNSHIP)

Eastern Europe
Stepanavan and Tashir, Armenia: April 1 - June 1

Summer 2005

Latin America
San Salvador, El Salvador: May 1 - May 30
Jaque, Darien, Panama: July 15 - August 15
Danli, El Paraiso, Honduras: May 1 - August 30 (Flexible Dates Available for 1 Month or More)
Cuzco, Peru: May 15 - June 15

India
Orphanage at Andhra Pradesh: July 1 - July 30
Punjab, India: May 1 - May 30
Bhubaneswar, Orissa, India: May 1 - June 1
Nagpur, Maharashtra State, India: May 15 - June 1
Alwar, Rajasthan, India: June 1 - June 30
Pradesh, India: June 15 - June 30
New Delhi, India: July 1 - July 30
Chennai, India: Jul 5 - July 31
Kolkata, India: July 1 - August 10

Thailand
lower north of Thailand: July 15 - August 1

Africa
Buduburam Refugee Camp, Ghana: May 10 - July 10; July 5 - August 15
Ho, Ghana: June 10 - August 10
Hohoe, Ghana: May 20 - July 1
Kwawu, Ghana: July 1 - August 15
Dumasi, Malawi: June 1 - July 15
Pobe, Benin: June 15 - July 30
Kenya: June 1 - July 30
Iganga Region, Uganda: June 2 - July 15
Nyamuswa, Tanzania: July 1 - August 20
Karatu, Tanzania: June 10 - June 30
Buea, Cameroon: August 1 - August 20
Refugee Camp at Brookfields Freetown, Sierra Leone: June 1 - December 1
(Flexible Dates for 4 weeks or more)

www.uniteforsight.org

Members don't see this ad.

Moving this up for those who missed it a few days ago.

2003Applicant said:
Moving this up for those who missed it a few days ago.

great post!

Members don't see this ad :)
2003Applicant said:
Dear all,

These opportuniteis will likely be of interest to many people here.

African, Asian, Eastern European, and Latin American Country Opportunities - Short and Long Term Volunteer Opportunities

Unite For Sight volunteers prescribe eyeglasses, screen for eye disease and coordinate and fund diagnosis, treatment, and surgery by doctors. Volunteers also implement Train the Trainer programs for teachers and educate children and adults about eye health and ways to prevent blindness.

All persons over the age of 18 are welcome to apply for these volunteer opportunities, including prehealth students, medical students, public health professionals, ophthalmologists, optometrists, physicians, corporate professionals, nurses, graduate students, retired professionals, and any others with an interest in international service.

If you are interested in the volunteer opportunities listed below, please contact [email protected] and consult www.uniteforsight.org

Spring 2005

Latin America
Xela, Guatemala: Flexible Dates Between January and October 2005

Africa
Buduburam Refugee Camp, Ghana: December 28 - February 28; February 15 - May 15; May 15 - August 15
Nyamuswa, Tanzania: January 15 - March 15
Pobe, Benin: Flexible Dates Between January 15 and May 15

India
Bihar, India: March 6 - March 16 (SPRING BREAK INTERNSHIP)
Chennai, India: February 10 - March 1 (SPRING BREAK INTERNSHIP)
Hyderabad, India: March 1-30, 2005 (SPRING BREAK INTERNSHIP)

Latin America
Sarstun, Guatemala: April 16 - 24

Eastern Europe
Stepanavan and Tashir, Armenia: April 1 - June 1

Summer 2005

Latin America
San Salvador, El Salvador: May 1 - May 30
Jaque, Darien, Panama: July 15 - August 15
Danli, El Paraiso, Honduras: May 1 - August 30 (Flexible Dates Available for 1 Month or More)
Xela, Guatemala: Flexible Dates through October 2005 (filled for June and July 2005)
Sarstun, Guatemala: July 9 - 17

India
Orphanage at Andhra Pradesh: July 1 - July 14
Punjab, India: May 1 - May 30
Bhubaneswar, Orissa, India: May 1 - June 1
Nagpur, Maharashtra State, India: May 15 - June 1
Alwar, Rajasthan, India: June 1 - June 30
Pradesh, India: June 15 - June 30
New Delhi, India: July 1 - July 30
Chennai, India: Jul 5 - July 31
Kolkata, India: July 1 - August 10
Chandigarh, India: August 15 - September 20

Thailand
lower north of Thailand: July 15 - August 1

Africa
Buduburam Refugee Camp, Ghana: May 10 - July 10; July 5 - August 15
Ho, Ghana: June 10 - August 10
Hohoe, Ghana: May 20 - July 1
Kwawu, Ghana: July 1 - August 15
Dumasi, Malawi: June 1 - July 15
Pobe, Benin: June 15 - July 30
Kenya: June 1 - July 30
Iganga Region, Uganda: June 2 - July 15
Agoro, Uganda Refugee Camp: June 1 - July 30
Nyamuswa, Tanzania: July 1 - August 20
Buea, Cameroon: August 1 - August 20

www.uniteforsight.org
I was just checking out the website, sounds awesome. I was wondering if you, or anyone knows of similar websites that are not specifically for one field (i.e. opthamology). I tried doing searches, but I find that a lot of the internship opportunities abroad ask for over $1500. Just sounds fishy.
Thanks!

A lot of people involved with Unite For Sight tend to be people interested in international or public health in general since the health education programs also include general education such as hygiene and sanitation.

For the Unite For Sight program, you would only pay for your lodging and airfare, and no funds are given to Unite For Sight. Almost all universities have fellowships that you could get to fund your expenses. I agree that organizations that require you to pay them directly can be fishy, and a lot of times university fellowships don't cover those extra expenses.

The IFMSA (www.ifmsa-usa.org) also has some good opportunities. Unite For Sight sends volunteers with each of their village projects, but they have some other programs, too. I think they charge program fees on top of the airfare and lodging.

st.exupery said:
I was just checking out the website, sounds awesome. I was wondering if you, or anyone knows of similar websites that are not specifically for one field (i.e. opthamology). I tried doing searches, but I find that a lot of the internship opportunities abroad ask for over $1500. Just sounds fishy.
Thanks!

For your information, you could also start a chapter of Unite For Sight at your university to start public health programs (vision screenings and health education progams, eyeglass drives, fundraising initiatives for cataract surgeries) in your own community.

FYI

UNITE FOR SIGHT: HELP START A NEW CHAPTER AND JOIN THE INTERNATIONAL NETWORK OF STUDENTS WHO ARE IMPROVING PUBLIC HEALTH

Unite For Sight (www.uniteforsight.org) is a global humanitarian organization with more than 90 chapters at universities and medical schools throughout the world. The organization is dedicated to preventing blindness through vision screenings and vision education programs.

*Vision screenings are offered to children and adults at local community centers such as homeless shelters, soup kitchens, schools and libraries. These screenings detect eye diseases such as lazy eye, strabismus, visual acuity problems, and others.
*All people who are screened by Unite For Sight are matched with national free health coverage programs and informed about locations to receive free eye care by doctors.

International Opportunities Include
*Participate in Volunteer Teams in African, Asian, Latin America, and Eastern European Countries
*Planning eye camps and eye health initiatives in African and Asian countries.
*Raising funds for sight-restoring cataract surgeries in African and Asian countries.
*Collecting eyeglasses to donate to developing countries.
*Collecting medical textbooks, journals, and health-related books for donation to developing countries.
*Exciting International Health Conferences that are open to the public in Boston (April 2 and 3, 2005, http//www.uniteforsight.org/2005_a...onference.shtml)