International contact

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Dutch Doc, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Dutch Doc

Dutch Doc Junior Member

Hello All!

As you may have guessed from reading my name, I'm a med student from the Netherlands.

I just finished my first rotation in my fifth year and I passed! Yey for me!

Anyway, I would like to hear from med students all over the world what their study is like and what experiences they have. So feel free to respond, anytime, day or night, I probably won't be sleeping anyway.

Bye bye,

Dutch Doc

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User

Attending Physician
    Hello. Welcome aboard.

Are you a dutch native? In my "previous life", I worked with three Dutch-trained doctors. What school are you in? Why don't you tell us about the Dutch system? From what I understand, it's lottery-based and much different from the U.S. That's something that people may be interested in hearing about.

4. BellKicker

BellKicker Twisted Miler

Hey Dutch Doc.

We're almost neighbors so I imagine our systems are pretty close. We also (like Skip Intro suggested) have a lottery after Med School that decides where we spend our PGY1 (=Post Graduate Year 1. I've been hanging around this forum long enough to get the acronyms down!) We can get sent to Greenland if we're really unlucky (although many actually choose these spots).

Just a note. Most Americans are very confused about the word Dutch. I'm Danish and I swear I get called Dutch more than Danish (cuz they can't believe a whole nationality is named after a donut). The Pennsylvania Dutch are really the Pennsylvania Deutsch. Go figure.

Later.

PS I'm fifth year, too. I'm in psychiatry right now. I see crazy people everywhere!

5. crazy about the world

hello dutch doc~

from korea. i don't know.. don't have much to say~ but just wanted to say hi~~~~~

my mid-term exams are coming up soon, (oh yeah, i'm a first year in med school) so currently i am experiencing the down side of med school.. you know, chunks of knowledge to put in your head~~

well, i better go now~ nice meeting you~~ :)

6. Skip Intro

Attending Physician
    By the way...

In case you haven't figured out, DD, I'm representing Ross in the Caribbean. It's not a vacation. :D

-Skip

7. Dutch Doc

Dutch Doc Junior Member

And why would I think that?

I mean, I don't live in Amsterdam smoking pot all day, now do I?

Prejudices... :)

Dutch Doc

8. Skip Intro

Attending Physician
    Haha! :D Didn't mean to imply that you were... just that a lot of people, as I'm sure you're aware, think that Caribbean = laying on the beach, chasing chicks, and drinking a lot of Margaritas.

Neither do I in Dominica. Of course, the difference is that if they catch you doing that down here, unlike Amsterdam, they throw you in jail!

:eek:

Take it easy! :)

-Skip

9. Dutch Doc

Dutch Doc Junior Member

Hahaha,

It's just that the first thing I always hear when people find out I'm dutch is whether I like smoking pot. It's interesting really, since I do not smoke at all, never have & never will.

I would think this whole pot-issue is weighing heavily on everyone's mind... :)

Sounds great to me, the Caribbean. Come and join me here, I was soaked through when I arrived home last night...

Bye bye,

DD