International contact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dutch Doc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

As you may have guessed from reading my name, I'm a med student from the Netherlands.

I just finished my first rotation in my fifth year and I passed! Yey for me!

Anyway, I would like to hear from med students all over the world what their study is like and what experiences they have. So feel free to respond, anytime, day or night, I probably won't be sleeping anyway.

Bye bye,

Dutch Doc

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. Welcome aboard.

Are you a dutch native? In my "previous life", I worked with three Dutch-trained doctors. What school are you in? Why don't you tell us about the Dutch system? From what I understand, it's lottery-based and much different from the U.S. That's something that people may be interested in hearing about.

Hey Dutch Doc.

We're almost neighbors so I imagine our systems are pretty close. We also (like Skip Intro suggested) have a lottery after Med School that decides where we spend our PGY1 (=Post Graduate Year 1. I've been hanging around this forum long enough to get the acronyms down!) We can get sent to Greenland if we're really unlucky (although many actually choose these spots).

Just a note. Most Americans are very confused about the word Dutch. I'm Danish and I swear I get called Dutch more than Danish (cuz they can't believe a whole nationality is named after a donut). The Pennsylvania Dutch are really the Pennsylvania Deutsch. Go figure.

Later.

PS I'm fifth year, too. I'm in psychiatry right now. I see crazy people everywhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
hello dutch doc~

from korea. i don't know.. don't have much to say~ but just wanted to say hi~~~~~

my mid-term exams are coming up soon, (oh yeah, i'm a first year in med school) so currently i am experiencing the down side of med school.. you know, chunks of knowledge to put in your head~~

well, i better go now~ nice meeting you~~ :)

By the way...

In case you haven't figured out, DD, I'm representing Ross in the Caribbean. It's not a vacation. :D

-Skip

And why would I think that?

I mean, I don't live in Amsterdam smoking pot all day, now do I?

Prejudices... :)

Dutch Doc

Originally posted by Dutch Doc
And why would I think that?

Haha! :D Didn't mean to imply that you were... just that a lot of people, as I'm sure you're aware, think that Caribbean = laying on the beach, chasing chicks, and drinking a lot of Margaritas.

Originally posted by Dutch Doc
I mean, I don't live in Amsterdam smoking pot all day, now do I?

Prejudices... :)

Dutch Doc

Neither do I in Dominica. Of course, the difference is that if they catch you doing that down here, unlike Amsterdam, they throw you in jail!

:eek:

Take it easy! :)

-Skip

Hahaha,

It's just that the first thing I always hear when people find out I'm dutch is whether I like smoking pot. It's interesting really, since I do not smoke at all, never have & never will.

I would think this whole pot-issue is weighing heavily on everyone's mind... :)

Sounds great to me, the Caribbean. Come and join me here, I was soaked through when I arrived home last night...

Bye bye,

DD