INTERNATIONAL DENTAL STUDENT

Started by Ashley20
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ashley20

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am a 2nd year dental student in Pakistan. I was wondering if anyone could help me regarding MD-DDS dual degree in USA. As the dental schools in Pakistan are not associated with ADA and are non-accredited programs. I wanted to know if I could join the MD-DDS program in USA after I graduate and do my residency in the States. If yes what is the procedure and how can I do it and if its not possible what other opportunities can I avail in the USA? It would be very kind if anyone could help me regarding this matter. Thanks!
 
Hello! I am a 2nd year dental student in Pakistan. I was wondering if anyone could help me regarding MD-DDS dual degree in USA. As the dental schools in Pakistan are not associated with ADA and are non-accredited programs. I wanted to know if I could join the MD-DDS program in USA after I graduate and do my residency in the States. If yes what is the procedure and how can I do it and if its not possible what other opportunities can I avail in the USA? It would be very kind if anyone could help me regarding this matter. Thanks!

The only MD DDS program I know of is oral and maxillofacial surgery which is 4-6 years course. You’ll have to get into international dentist program get American DDS and then apply for it. So you’re looking at 7-8 years of school after you graduate if you’re lucky to get into it! Good luck. Dream big 🙂
 
The only MD DDS program I know of is oral and maxillofacial surgery which is 4-6 years course. You’ll have to get into international dentist program get American DDS and then apply for it. So you’re looking at 7-8 years of school after you graduate if you’re lucky to get into it! Good luck. Dream big 🙂
OMFS is not a joint DDS/MD program. It is a certificate in OMFS which is a minimum of 4 years and some programs offer 6 year programs which will allow you to complete an MD at the same time as the OMFS training.

You will not be able to enter an OMFS program as an international student not having graduated from US/Canadian dental school. It is the most competitive specialty in dentistry and I believe there is data from last year that shows of all the spots for OMFS only one international was able to Match to a program. I would try to get your DDS in the USA through an international qualified program and then try to get into OMFS, but the process will of course still be extremely competitive. Good luck!