International dentist planning to take DAT, need advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adiwana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN memebers,
I am a regular reader of SDN forum's posts since 3 years. I appreciate your help all these days.
I am a dentist from India. I applied for IDP at UOP for the last 2 years. No luck.
My stats, NBDE part 1 89%
TOEFL 100
GPA 3.7 (ECE)
Dental experience: 3 yrs in India and 6 months in the US (as DA)
Visa- Legal permanent resident.
Age 30yrs

My question is
Can I get back to dentistry if I write DAT now and apply for UOP's and UCSF's regular 4 yrs dental course? What are the chances? is it a better option to IDP (2 yrs)? I want to be a dentist in someway. I cannot go back to my country now.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the 4 yr programs are much easier to get into.
If you don't care about the time span of completion, you should go for the DMD or DDS programs.
Good luck

Dear SDN memebers,
I am a regular reader of SDN forum's posts since 3 years. I appreciate your help all these days.
I am a dentist from India. I applied for IDP at UOP for the last 2 years. No luck.
TOEFL 100
GPA 3.7 (ECE)
Age 30yrs

My question is
Can I get back to dentistry if I write DAT now and apply for UOP's and UCSF's regular 4 yrs dental course? What are the chances? is it a better option to IDP (2 yrs)? I want to be a dentist in someway. I cannot go back to my country now.
Thanks in advance.

my friend is doing the regular DMD,she even got a bad score on the DAT,yet they took her in as she was a dentist already.As a regular applicant you stand a better chance than the other students who have just done an undergrad in biology or chemistry. You should apply ASAP(through AADSAS) and then plan on taking your DAT. The deadlines are approaching,so apply and you can take DAT later.
GOODLUCK

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ksr and dilema,
Thanks for the sugesstions. I really appreciate your words.
Dilema, could you pls tell me to which university your friend got into? is it UOPand also, do you think there is a age limit for 4 yr program? cos I am already 30 yrs.

Thanks a lot
bye
adiwana

Hi ksr and dilema,
Thanks for the sugesstions. I really appreciate your words.
Dilema, could you pls tell me to which university your friend got into? is it UOPand also, do you think there is a age limit for 4 yr program? cos I am already 30 yrs.

Thanks a lot
bye
adiwana

I think its North Carolina, and older the better. The average age group for dental students is 23-26 or even more and they consider older people to be more responsible.

Hi Friend,
Haven't you applied to NYUCD AP DDS program ? It will save you one year compared to a regular 4 yr program and I am sure with your stats you stand a good chance of getting admitted at NYU...

:thumbup: Good Luck

Dear SDN memebers,
TOEFL 100
GPA 3.7 (ECE)
Age 30yrs

My question is
Thanks in advance.

hi dilema and hydbds/
thanks for the info.
good luck!
adiwana