international EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intlhealth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there programs that are particularly supportive of international health interests/career opportunities (esp. in Africa)?

Members don't see this ad.

intlhealth said:
Are there programs that are particularly supportive of international health interests/career opportunities (esp. in Africa)?
Yale offers 6 months of electives. You can spend the majority (if not all) doing overseas rotations. The Yale/Johnson & Johnson Scholars in International Health program will pay for your airfare, lodging, etc. while you are away. (Note: The Yale/J&J program does not require you to be a Yale resident to receive the grant.) More info can be found at: http://www.info.med.yale.edu/ischolar/

Harvard offers an international medicine fellowship. Not sure how supportive the BW/MGH and Deaconess programs are of you doing overseas rotations during residency. I don't think they have as many elective months as we do.

1) Check out USC: They have some sort of International program (electives, trips?)
2) If I remember correctly, Hopkins has a fellowship in international EM.

Members don't see this ad :)
intlhealth said:

Loma Linda also has an international focus.

For Med School, Ben Gurion in Israel has required clerkships and training in international medicine.

My old man was a peds em doc for 10 years before working for UNICEF and CDC. He started by organizing and overseeing Polio and measels campaigns. He is now incharge of everything from ID to malnutrition. He is based in East Africa. The job is great. You get to move around every 4 years to another location. The pay is not bad (no taxes) and a lot of other perks. Of course some people may be turned off by living in developing nations but I loved it as a child.