• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!

ravisingh007

5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
I am an International medical graduate with an MD Pathology degree from India. I plan to complete all the 3 steps of USMLE. I have a few questions if you could kindly answer them

1- After completing all the three steps how long would it take for me to get a fellowship in the United States without doing my board Residency

2- Will I be eligible to work in the United States or I would have to do my residency in Pathology

3- Will a Fellowship from United States be recognised for jobs in other first world countries of Europe, Australia , UK etc or I would have to do my residency in the United States then only I would be recognised for job

4- What is the status of FRCP Path in the United States

5- And as there is no age limit for USMLE if i apply for Fellowship or residency at the age of 45 years also will I be considered .

Nephro critical care

7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I am not aware of all the all the path specific stuff but as a general rule you can't work be board certified in the USA if you haven't done a US residency other than in sometimes in some academic programs. So in nearly all circumstances its worthwhile to do a residency unless you want to be a captive all your life. FRCP may help in getting a residency but it won't get you board certified. And jobs will balk at someone who is not board certified. So no way around the residency part.
I don't think being 45 should be a hindrance in getting a residency fellowship in pathology.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.