International Medical Student

Started by DMCPN
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DMCPN

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I am a final year medical student from Portugal and would like to know whether or not it is possible to, and what I would have to do in order to apply to a two months internship in Surgery at your Transitional Year. Is it possible to help me? Thank you!!


 
Hi!

I am a final year medical student from Portugal and would like to know whether or not it is possible to, and what I would have to do in order to apply to a two months internship in Surgery at your Transitional Year. Is it possible to help me? Thank you!!



I suspect there is some terminology confusion here. In the US, the "intern" year is your first year of residency training. A transitional year is one type of intern year. It's not like a 2 month medical school rotation, or something you do to get US experience before applying for a US residency -- it IS a first year of residency training. And it is 12 months long. And typically there isn't a heck of a lot of surgery in a transitional year -- the folks who do transitional years are looking for a cushy year not the more brutal surgery lifestyle.

To me it sounds like you aren't really looking to do an "internship" or a portion of a "transitional year". Sounds more like you want to do a 2 month "clerkship" or "rotation". And for that the "Internship" board is probably not the right place to ask your question. I would start with the international boards on SDN.