International Medical Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMCPN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a final year medical student from Portugal and would like to know whether or not it is possible to, and what I would have to do in order to apply to a two months internship in Surgery at your Transitional Year. Is it possible to help me? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I am a final year medical student from Portugal and would like to know whether or not it is possible to, and what I would have to do in order to apply to a two months internship in Surgery at your Transitional Year. Is it possible to help me? Thank you!!

I suspect there is some terminology confusion here. In the US, the "intern" year is your first year of residency training. A transitional year is one type of intern year. It's not like a 2 month medical school rotation, or something you do to get US experience before applying for a US residency -- it IS a first year of residency training. And it is 12 months long. And typically there isn't a heck of a lot of surgery in a transitional year -- the folks who do transitional years are looking for a cushy year not the more brutal surgery lifestyle.

To me it sounds like you aren't really looking to do an "internship" or a portion of a "transitional year". Sounds more like you want to do a 2 month "clerkship" or "rotation". And for that the "Internship" board is probably not the right place to ask your question. I would start with the international boards on SDN.