International medicine experience as a DO student

Started by ckenny
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ckenny

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm curious if anyone has any information or ideas about what international medical experience we might be able to pursue as DO students, particularly in developing countries. If anyone else is interested, I may do some looking and post back to this thread also.
 
I'm curious if anyone has any information or ideas about what international medical experience we might be able to pursue as DO students, particularly in developing countries. If anyone else is interested, I may do some looking and post back to this thread also.



Are you talking about international practice rights? If so the chart on this wikipedia article will be useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Osteopathic_Medicine

Or are you talking about some sort of international medical mission/effort designed specifically for DOs? I don't have any info on that....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was more wondering about specific international medical opportunities that we might have, not necessarily DO specific, but DO inclusive. Of course practice rights will eventually come into play for anyone that is interested in this area, so thanks for the link. Here is another link that I found:

http://www.amsa.org/global/ih/ihopps.cfm


Are you talking about international practice rights? If so the chart on this wikipedia article will be useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Osteopathic_Medicine

Or are you talking about some sort of international medical mission/effort designed specifically for DOs? I don't have any info on that....
 
I heard somewhere that PCOM allows you to do elective rotations overseas. Correct me if thats wrong.
 
I am very interested in international work. I have interviewed at four DO schools and I asked about international opportunities during each interview. All of the schools were open to students doing international rotations and some of the more established schools even have affiliations with international clinics.
 
I know that during my interview Mr. Carney mentioned that LMU was working on setting up rotations overseas, or helping students figure out ones they were interested it...since that is where you will be going ckenny
 
Cool. That's good to know.

I know that during my interview Mr. Carney mentioned that LMU was working on setting up rotations overseas, or helping students figure out ones they were interested it...since that is where you will be going ckenny
 
I think one of the perks of practicing internationally would be that if they allow full scope of practice for DOs, then chances are you will just belong to the single doctor category, without having to deal with the DO/MD divisions. There will be exceptions here and there.
 
I think one of the perks of practicing internationally would be that if they allow full scope of practice for DOs, then chances are you will just belong to the single doctor category, without having to deal with the DO/MD divisions. There will be exceptions here and there.

The only big MD/DO division in the US is on this website.
 
I'm curious if anyone has any information or ideas about what international medical experience we might be able to pursue as DO students, particularly in developing countries. If anyone else is interested, I may do some looking and post back to this thread also.

this is one of the things i am most looking forward to and as such this factor will heavily influence where i decide to go to school. like one poster already mentioned DMU has a well established global health program and i'm sure others do too. i've always twanted to go to south africa, and since i wasn't able to go abroad during undergrad, med school is my chance. i can't wait and think it will be an amazing experience.

it will be definitely be something that i bring up during my interviews.
 
is south africa still the murder capital of the world now that there is a war going on in iraq?
 
There is a difference between moving to a country and establishing yourself as a physician, and going on medical missions. As a DO student, you will likely be going on medical missions trips (unless you are trying to set up internetional elective in places like London). If you are looking to do medical missions work in 3rd world countries, there is no resistance whatsoever to taking an osteopathic medical student. This is also the same for osteopathic physicians when using most NGO (non-government organizations) to do medical missions trips. I recently returned from Ghana, and next year may have to opportunity to travel to China, Ghana (again), India or Dubai. Being an osteopathic physician will have no bearing on whether I will be able to go.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad