International PhD student :What are my chances?

Started by kikic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kikic

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please I would appreciate your thoughts on this:
I am currently in a biomedical doctorate program. I will be done in may 2009. I have a (US ) masters in Physical chemistry (GPA of 4.00) and a foreign BSc in chemistry (GPA of 3.4). My current PhD is close to 3.9. I plan on taking a year off after the PhD to do a postdoctorate and get all my permanent residency papers down.
What are my chances of getting into a med school (after I get the PR status) without having to do premed? (or am delusional 🙁??) I took physics/chem/biology as an undergrad. Would my PhD in biomedical sciences be of any use as balance/waiver?

Thanks
 
Please I would appreciate your thoughts on this:
I am currently in a biomedical doctorate program. I will be done in may 2009. I have a (US ) masters in Physical chemistry (GPA of 4.00) and a foreign BSc in chemistry (GPA of 3.4). My current PhD is close to 3.9. I plan on taking a year off after the PhD to do a postdoctorate and get all my permanent residency papers down.
What are my chances of getting into a med school (after I get the PR status) without having to do premed? (or am delusional 🙁??) I took physics/chem/biology as an undergrad. Would my PhD in biomedical sciences be of any use as balance/waiver?

Thanks

Look for any of a recent series of responses from ScottishChap (his story sounded very similar to you.) In brief-the American graduate work will be considered as a (good) extracurricular, but not enough. You will need to establish an undergraduate track record in an American School in some manner. You could do this now (taking UG classes while a grad student)

First-get residency papers down, or you won't be truly competitive. Make sure to ask the schools about any balance/waiver plans (Once again-ask Scottish Chap for hints, but get it in writing from the med schools what will be acceptable for your particular case)