International Rotation in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a good rotation in Australia?

Members don't see this ad.

Josh03 said:
hii , josh03

actually i posted the same question be4 one month and i didn't get any response i don't know why??????????

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=282935

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=266004

Here are 2 threads. I am sure there have been more in the past. The search function is not working at the moment but you could use the google search at the top of the page. I am sure there is more. These two threads aren't too helpful.

You should specify some general areas of medicine you are interested in. This might help. Also, when you want to do these rotations would be good to know. Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPAH) (one of the U of Sydney hospitals) is full until April or May. There are other Univ. of Sydney hospitals though, I just don't know about how ful their electives are. In general terms, the melanoma unit at RPAH is world famous. I wouldn't do surgery here because you don't do as much. I wouldn't do EM either. These just apply for the big city hospitals though. Rural hospitals let you do so much more. You also get a much more interesting experience if you go rural. I would set these up directly with the hospitals. Good areas would be in the Northern Territory (a state), in cities like Darwin and Alice Springs. If you are into surfing-type stuff, any hospital on the coast will be good times. If you just want to travel, say so and I can recommend some others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Josh03 said:

I wouldn't do Trauma Surgery at Liverpool.

The surgeon in charge there is a very good surgeon but he doesn't let you do anything as a student other than hold a camera......

driedcaribou said:
I wouldn't do Trauma Surgery at Liverpool.

The surgeon in charge there is a very good surgeon but he doesn't let you do anything as a student other than hold a camera......

I wouldn't do any surgery. The heirarchy is different. More people in line to do interesting things in surgery. Students have less of a role unless you know exactly who to work with, and this is hard to do when setting up an elective.

Honestly, most electives here in Australia are really not very unique compared to US electives. If you are going to come here, either go rural/remote for the weird and wonderful OR come here with the primary objective of a working holiday (i.e. do an elective that will never notice whether you are here or not and spend the weekends travelling). If you want the working holiday, let me know and I can definitely give you some ideas. That said, most visiting students are not expected to do much so you can do pretty much whatever you want.