International Schools....Visa/Citizenship/Work/etc...

Started by Robdude
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Robdude

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know where to ask this, but I figured this might be a good start.

Let's say I were to get accepted to the University of Dublin....I'd be able to get a student VISA without any trouble I'm sure. But what about my fiancée? I'm assuming student VISAs don't include 'Student and Guest', right?

Would it make a difference if we were married?
 
I don't know where to ask this, but I figured this might be a good start.

Let's say I were to get accepted to the University of Dublin....I'd be able to get a student VISA without any trouble I'm sure. But what about my fiancée? I'm assuming student VISAs don't include 'Student and Guest', right?

Would it make a difference if we were married?


Correct, student visas don't include 'student and guest' unless that guest is your spouse.

It will make a difference if you 2 were married b/c your spouse will be declared as a dependent under your student visa. If not, then your fiancee would have to get a work visa or student visa separate from your own.
 
Might depend on the country. You'd have to check for sure but I'm fairly sure Australia would allow your fiance to enter the country under your student visa. Australia is pretty good at acknowledging "defacto" relationships. Basically I think the requirement is that you have lived together for at least the past year.

See: http://www.immi.gov.au/students/students/bringing_family/

So check each immigration department with the countries you are interested in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going through the same issue with trying to get a visa for my boyfriend. I am going to Edinburgh, and their office advised me to have him apply as a dependent of mine as an unmarried partner. So hopefully with the right evidence he will get the visa, but since we haven't lived together for 2yrs or more im not sure if it will go through. I can keep you posted when he sends in the visa packet since he doesnt plan on going until late sept
 
Mitshu, just out of curiosity, did Dick mention anything about how difficult it is for spouses or bfs to get work over there? Good luck on his visa!!
 
no they didn't mention that, but when I get there I am going to go to their international office and ask them stuff like that. I have heard that it is pretty hard to find a job there especially due their their high unemployment so most good jobs go to the locals over americans. Our plans are that he prob won't be working at least for the first few months most likely longer.