International student and internship at USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FringeScientist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I am a brazilian medical student (I have just started my first year, a couple of weeks ago) and I would like to do my internship and residency at U.S.

I don't want to waste any time, so can anybody give me tips as to how should I prepare myself? What kind of tests will I have to take, or what can I do to improve my curriculum and get a better shot...

Thank you for your help, guys o/

Members don't see this ad.

To work in the US as a resident physician (internship is simply the first year of residency), you must be ECFMG certified.

So your first step is to verify that your medical school is on the FAIMER list.

Then you need to consider doing some final year electives in the US to get US clinical experience and US letters of recommendation. Since you are a first year student, you have time - many foreign physicians discount the importance of the above. Therefore, check with your administration about what elective time is available during the final year and if you are allowed to come to the US for it (ie, do they provide you with malpractice insurance good in North America)?

Check out the ECFMG requirements - essentially to be certified you will be required to take the US licensing exams - the USMLEs. You will want to have these examinations done before the time comes to apply for residency in the US (usually the fall of your final year).

Finally, see the NRMP and ERAS for information about how the matching process works.

Read the International Forums for detailed information but the above should get you started.

My school is listed on IMED (fortunatelly!!), and if only final year electives count, I have time (here medical school lasts 6 years).

Thanks for the help!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
My school is listed on IMED (fortunatelly!!), and if only final year electives count, I have time (here medical school lasts 6 years).

Thanks for the help!:)

Its not that "only final year electives count" but that most US medical schools do not allow foreign students to come for electives EXCEPT in the final year. Howevere, there is nothing to prevent you from finding a research project to work on during your holiday terms prior to that. But the most important letters will come from those observing you during clinical rotations.

Hi! I'm finishing my 5th year of medicine in argentina. I have to start my internship but I would like to do it in USA can someone help me??

thankss!!

I am a medical student in China but I am from Ghana. I want to know if I can do my intership in USA and how?

I'm currently traveling in Asia for an outreach program for my org. I've had questions from colleagues here in the Philippines about doing residency in the US. They're wondering mostly about how long they have to be practicing to qualify for a licensing exam?

I'm currently traveling in Asia for an outreach program for my org. I've had questions from colleagues here in the Philippines about doing residency in the US. They're wondering mostly about how long they have to be practicing to qualify for a licensing exam?

It depends...are you asking about USMLE (commonly referred to as the Steps)? Or state licensing.

If the former (which was my initial assumption), they just have to be in/graduated from med school and they can find all that information on the intarwubs...right over there.

If the latter, they have to complete all 4 parts of the steps and do residency for 1-3 years (depending on the state).

It depends...are you asking about USMLE (commonly referred to as the Steps)? Or state licensing.

If the former (which was my initial assumption), they just have to be in/graduated from med school and they can find all that information on the intarwubs...right over there.

If the latter, they have to complete all 4 parts of the steps and do residency for 1-3 years (depending on the state).

Thanks for this and the links.

To work in the US as a resident physician (internship is simply the first year of residency), you must be ECFMG certified.

So your first step is to verify that your medical school is on the FAIMER list.

Then you need to consider doing some final year electives in the US to get US clinical experience and US letters of recommendation. Since you are a first year student, you have time - many foreign physicians discount the importance of the above. Therefore, check with your administration about what elective time is available during the final year and if you are allowed to come to the US for it (ie, do they provide you with malpractice insurance good in North America)?

Check out the ECFMG requirements - essentially to be certified you will be required to take the US licensing exams - the USMLEs. You will want to have these examinations done before the time comes to apply for residency in the US (usually the fall of your final year).

Finally, see the NRMP and ERAS for information about how the matching process works.

Read the International Forums for detailed information but the above should get you started.
hello sir,

i'm a Sri Lankan medical student studying in Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in Nigeria. I'm currently in my 5th year and hope to be graduating from med school next year. How can i pursue an internship or housemanship in US or Canada? And frankly, what are my chances, being an international medical graduate? thanks.

Samali

hello sir,

i'm a Sri Lankan medical student studying in Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in Nigeria. I'm currently in my 5th year and hope to be graduating from med school next year. How can i pursue an internship or housemanship in US or Canada? And frankly, what are my chances, being an international medical graduate? thanks.

Samali

Did you follow the steps in my post you referenced above?

To come to the US for internship or residency ("horsemanship"), you need to verify that your school is listed with FAIMER, take the US licensing examinations, get a certificate of credentials verification from ECFMG, etc.

As for your chances, it depends on your exam scores, US letters of recommendation, what field you are applying to etc. No one can really say what your chances are but they are becoming increasingly difficult for non-US citizens trained abroad.

thank you for your quick response. my school is listed with FAIMER fortunately. But as i am still in medical school, what do you think is the easiest way i can work out to pursue a career in the US?
what fields are in high demand?

thank u very much.

you will likely need to do rotations as a medical student in the US to get letters of recommendation. have you taken any of the USMLE step exams yet?

thank u for responding...i haven't taken any of the steps yet.i'm still in my 5th year in school....

I don't want to waste any time, so can anybody give me tips as to how should I prepare myself? What kind of tests will I have to take, or what can I do to improve my curriculum and get a better shot...

Unfortunately you're at least a year or two out from applying since you need to study for, and take, the Steps, get USCE, US LOR, etc.

Best of luck.

we take step 1 and 2 during medical school. some even take step 3 during medical school but most during the first year of residency.
i agree with buzz me, you still have a lot of time before youd be ready to apply for US residency.

before you can apply you need:
US rotations to get US LORs
Step 1, 2, and likely 3.
extracurriculars, and research to improve your chances as you are an IMG.

i am currently in 5th year of medical school. i have no prior bachelor's degree as it is not a prerequisite in Nigeria. is it possible for me to transfer as a medical student to any possible year into a medical school in the US? thank u

i am currently in 5th year of medical school. i have no prior bachelor's degree as it is not a prerequisite in Nigeria. is it possible for me to transfer as a medical student to any possible year into a medical school in the US? thank u

No.

Transfers are exceedingly uncommon and they almost always occur between US schools.

Most, if not all US medical schools also require at least 90 units of undergraduate studies done in the US.

Your best option is to come to the US for some electives while you are still a student, and then once you have your degree, apply for ECFMG certification and the US residency match.

thank for being honest. what kind of electives do u mean? and pls, what schools can i try? thank u so much