Surgery Internship without Sub-I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MouseChair

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

How difficult would it be to do a surgical intern year without a sub I in surgery? My last real experience in the OR etc was over a year ago at this point. I have done multiple medicine sub-Is and am comfortable doing that, but have heard from mentors that surgery may be preferable (radiology, slight interest in IR down the line)

Members don't see this ad.

Not difficult at all. I did not do a sub-I in surgery and got multiple interview offers, and I'm currently doing a surg prelim year.

It's not a deal breaker, but it may make prospective residencies wonder about your commitment to surgery.

As a surgical sub-i, it's a great way for students to get a better sense of their expected responsibilities as a surgical intern and know what they're getting into. It's always nice to have as much OR experience as possible too. But when we interviewed med students for residency at my program, I felt like we were looking to answer two questions: 1) Will they make a good intern? 2) Can I work with this person for 5 years?

Unless you're some kind of wunderkind, we didn't expect you to be able to operate on day one. If you're personable and seem to have a good head on your shoulders, we can train you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a deal breaker, but it may make prospective residencies wonder about your commitment to surgery.

As a surgical sub-i, it's a great way for students to get a better sense of their expected responsibilities as a surgical intern and know what they're getting into. It's always nice to have as much OR experience as possible too. But when we interviewed med students for residency at my program, I felt like we were looking to answer two questions: 1) Will they make a good intern? 2) Can I work with this person for 5 years?

Unless you're some kind of wunderkind, we didn't expect you to be able to operate on day one. If you're personable and seem to have a good head on your shoulders, we can train you.

He’s not committed to surgery...per his post, he is radiology bound... needs a prelim year.

Oops. Totally glossed over that end bit. Yeah, you'd be fine without a surgical sub-I.