International Student in Big Crisis- Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

morningStar1985

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I'm an international student at a Top 10 US Medical School which I will not name due to privacy reasons. I finished my second year and took Step I last summer and am currently on a year off to do research. I have a full tuition scholarship that covers my tuition and fees and my parents paid for my living expenses and health insurance for my first two years.

I have a big crisis now because I had a huge argument with my father, who has been very controlling and emotionally abusive all my life. Now he refuses to finance me, even though he has the money. I see no way of reasoning with him; he has a lot of mental problems.

This is a big issue for me because I will no longer be able to pay for my living expenses, books and fees which amount to 25,000 a year. I really want to continue my education and have been doing really well in my classes and have aced the Step 1 (260+ score). I do not know if my school will let me borrow 25,000 dollars. I'm really scared that I will not be able to continue my education. What should I do at this point? Do you think my school will offer a way out, should I talk to them?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really do not mind taking loans and would gladly take them if I could obtain them even if they have a high interest rate. But the thing is I'm an international student and do not have a co-signer in the US. I know that most loans require at least a resident or a citizen co-signer.

My school had offered me 5000 a year of private loans. Do you think that I were to talk to the financial aid office at my school, maybe they would let me take on more debt to sponsor my education?
 
I found myself in a similar situation years back. So here's my advice:
-live on as little as possible, I lived on WAY less than 25k;this means getting food from Dr's lounge, conferences etc.
-live with roomate(s)
-you can get cash donating blood, bone marrow, tutoring, house sitting, dog walking, picking up people's dry cleaning etc.
-liquidate any valuable jewelery etc.
-do away rotations at places that provide free housing + meal allowance