International Student in Big Crisis- Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morningStar1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm an international student at a Top 10 US Medical School which I will not name due to privacy reasons. I finished my second year and took Step I last summer and am currently on a year off to do research. I have a full tuition scholarship that covers my tuition and fees and my parents paid for my living expenses and health insurance for my first two years.

I have a big crisis now because I had a huge argument with my father, who has been very controlling and emotionally abusive all my life. Now he refuses to finance me, even though he has the money. I see no way of reasoning with him; he has a lot of mental problems.

This is a big issue for me because I will no longer be able to pay for my living expenses, books and fees which amount to 25,000 a year. I really want to continue my education and have been doing really well in my classes and have aced the Step 1 (260+ score). I do not know if my school will let me borrow 25,000 dollars. I'm really scared that I will not be able to continue my education. What should I do at this point? Do you think my school will offer a way out, should I talk to them?

Members don't see this ad.

take out loans, 90% of medical students have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really do not mind taking loans and would gladly take them if I could obtain them even if they have a high interest rate. But the thing is I'm an international student and do not have a co-signer in the US. I know that most loans require at least a resident or a citizen co-signer.

My school had offered me 5000 a year of private loans. Do you think that I were to talk to the financial aid office at my school, maybe they would let me take on more debt to sponsor my education?

I found myself in a similar situation years back. So here's my advice:
-live on as little as possible, I lived on WAY less than 25k;this means getting food from Dr's lounge, conferences etc.
-live with roomate(s)
-you can get cash donating blood, bone marrow, tutoring, house sitting, dog walking, picking up people's dry cleaning etc.
-liquidate any valuable jewelery etc.
-do away rotations at places that provide free housing + meal allowance